To Shim Or Not To Shim

XxSlowpokexX

Well I am taking it that I absolutely have to shim my slave. All symptoms i had prior to exploding my tranny lead to that. Now being I dont have my old flywheel I have a few questions.

I have a Spec Stage III clutch and mcleod aluminum flywheel.

Has anyone used this flywheel before and if so did you have to shim and how much?

What do I use for shims?...Washers? I was looking over posts and there are alot of different answers here.

How do I measure what I should have with no thing to gague it by??

And lastly...I have the earlier model clutch setup in my 94 now with the mcleod aluminm flywheel. If the transmission guy did not used collared bolts..WHere can I get them?

As always thanks all .

Last edited:
Best way to see if you need to shim is to put trans in and through the inspection plate, watch the operation of the slave for it's range of motion and where the clutch releases the flywheel with the pedal travel. Adding a shim should cause the clutch to release sooner in pedal travel.

ok so I been reading up on flywheel shims and slave shims...I would think a slave shim should do just fine...Now Ford has a kit for them..Cant I just use washers or a peice of cutout sheet metal or something>?

Whgat has everyone used?

Back