89 Running Rough/Buck

MSwen22780

I have an 89, it will run fine after cold start, but after driving for 10-15min it will all of a sudden act like its running on one cylinder on acceleration. It bucks real hard and idles real rough at a stop. It will do this for about 5 min and then go away. Any ideas will greatly be appreciated.

99% of the time...new plugs and wires will cure the bucking under a load problem. Bad coil pack or DIS module can also cause similar symptoms.

David

PS: If it's plugs or wires it doesn't go away...so not sure what's up with your car.

I just don't see wires or plugs taking care of this problem, because after it has run rough for a couple of min. it never acts up again unless it let the car completely cool down and restart the cycle, but I will sure look into it.

My old 89 would do that exact same thing. It ended up being the Cam Sensor, it was getting hot and fudging up, replaced it, cost like $20, and it ran like a champ until the day I sold it.

I had a bad DIS with exact same condition that was completely intermittent with no codes.

I also know for sure a friend had a plug wire that had touched his header intermittently just enough to only ground out on hard accel.

This did only cause one cylinder to drop, but it was running very similar to my bad DIS, but it was a plug wire.

I replaced my camshaft sensor tonight and took it out for a spin for 20 min and it hasn't missed a beat. I tried my hardest to get it to act up. Thanks for everyones advice.

Back