What to look for when checking out a SC

Y

Yostarr

The other day i was walking by my house when i saw a baddddddddd ASSSSSS looking tbird. The car looks brand new. when i looked at the back i saw an autotrader add. I've looked over the car it looks great. Apparently the owner has put over 18 grand cdn into this past year including roh rims tires, new SC, Tranny, brakes, exhaust, engine work too rad etc. Anyways this car looks immaculate inside and out the only thing i'm worried about is the miles on it. It has 195 K. is there anything i should be on the look out for? This guy does have all recipts too. The asking price is 8500. What do you guys think?

P.S and the reason why he's selling it is because hes fallen on hard times. He's house is for sale too.

Other than the things you would normally look for, (Oil, Coolant leaks, rust, and so on), There's not much to look for. The SC has had major problems with Head Gaskets. If they have been replaced this would be a plus. The other things to look at would be the Automatic Ride Control system, the Transmission and the Super Charger. The SC has a bearing in the nose, if its making a lot noise it will have to be replaced.

Can anybody else think of anything I missed?

pedals

I always look good at the pedals. Too see if the corners of rubber are worn off. If they are not it was alot of highway miles like mine (187,000). If they are all torn up its alot of city driving. So if the pedals are worn so is the drive train.

no offense, but I sold cars for a living....one of the first things we'd do with a car with worn pedals is to change them! Pedal pads are a very inexpensive way to bring a few more dollars to the table. Obviously not everyone is gonna change the pads, but it's good to keep in mind anyway. Just look the car over GOOD....check the body with a magnet (where it's metal obviusly) for body filler. Look for signs of fresh paint, find out why it was painted. The obvious other things like, leaks, smoke, knocks...there's a million things you can look for. The first thing that sometimes strikes me is how I feel about the person selling me the car. Do they look you in the eye, or look away when they answer a question. Don't be shay about asking questions, ask ANYTHING you want to know, it's your money. I could go on, and on, but it's allot of common sense, and have the car checked if you're unsure.
-Jeff

Back