Help with front coil spring removal

Dahoopd

Can someone give me a step by step on removing the front coils. If its not too much trouble I would greatly appreciate it if its not too much trouble.

I have a friend that works for a stealership that said he has a wall mounted spring compressor at the shop that will remove them but I have to bring in the entire strut.

(if someone has the shop manual on cd and would burn me a copy I would gladly pay for it. I seem to have lost mine)

three bolts on the top of the strut that you get under the hood, might have to pull the arc from it first, but you just pull it off. then there is one large bolt/nut combo you take apart at the lower control arm. Then you slide her out.

three bolts on the top of the strut that you get under the hood, might have to pull the arc from it first, but you just pull it off. then there is one large bolt/nut combo you take apart at the lower control arm. Then you slide her out.

Keith,

Does that mean the coil spring will stay mounted to the strut. Do I keep the strut loaded before loosening the bolts or just let it hang off the ground? Thanks for the help.

Jack up the front strut and preload it.
Undo the one main bolt middle top.
Then lower the jack and that will unload the spring from the assymbly. Then unbolt lower bolt and nut pry the lower control arm and remove the shock/strut the spring should follow.

Or the hard way is to remove all as one assymbly and get spring compressors and go about it that way.

There are three studs on the strut mount. The three nuts hold the assembly to the car body. They do not hold the spring to the mount.

There is one big nut in the center of the mount that hold the spring, mount, and shock together. That is the dangerous one.

Jack up the front strut and preload it.
Undo the one main bolt middle top.
Then lower the jack and that will unload the spring from the assymbly. Then unbolt lower bolt and nut pry the lower control arm and remove the shock/strut the spring should follow.

Or the hard way is to remove all as one assymbly and get spring compressors and go about it that way.
Yup!. Save the time, trouble, effort and just use a jack. Also a lot easier to install one that way. :)

yes it will stay mounted to the spring. i recommend doing it this way, then your friend can use the coil spring compressor, to do the rest. there are three little studs coming through the body around the large center nut, only remove the three little ones that holds the mount to the body, and the large nut holds the whole strut, strut mount and spring assembly together.

Oh, by the way, there are actually TWO large nuts on the shock rod. The first one just holds the ARC mounting bracket on. That, you can remove safely. The LOWER of the two large nuts holds the shock mount on.

Back