hub swap help

nova72sc

i have searched and searched, i have a 90 with abs, i still want abs, but i only want to do the bare minimum (at this time, will upgrade later) so if anyone has any of this for sale please let me know, also if anyone could just help me know what i need to get, thanks in advance

Bare minimum for a hub swap to stang that will then allow fitting Mustang wheels is late model steering knuckle (mn12 late model) and then mustang hubs with the tone rings installed.

Along with that is gonna need new brake calipers and brackets.

Bare minimum for a hub swap to stang that will then allow fitting Mustang wheels is late model steering knuckle (mn12 late model) and then mustang hubs with the tone rings installed.

Along with that is gonna need new brake calipers and brackets.

Unless you going to larger diameter rotors you can use the early style splindles with the standard mustang hubs and rotors.

You need to get SN95 Hubs 1994+ with ABS rings for the front. SHould cost about $120 for the pair brand new. You also need 1999+ Cobra hubs for the rear which should be about $150/pair. Redrilling all of your rotors will probably be cheaper than buying new rotors. Machine shops around here charge about $20/rotor. Have the new 5X4.5 pattern drilled between your existing 5X4.25 pattern. Also have the centerbores of the rotors enlarged (bring a new hub in with you so they can see). Buy 4 new hub nuts for a T-bird at $8.00/each. Also remember to buy new lug nuts for the mustang 1/2 inch instead of 12mm I think.

The front hubs simply slide onto the spindle, the rears press into the spindle. So you will probably have to remove your entire rear spindle in order to drive the hub out of it. A shop with a press can do the switch, or if you have some blocks of wood to support the spindle on a work bend, and a socket or piece of pipe in similar size to your hub, you can hammer the old ones out and drive the new ones in. I use a piece of all-thread and a series of washers and nuts to pull the new hubs into the spindle. It ensures a nice even pull. Torque the hub nuts to 200ft-lbs.

SO there you go. Total should = about $400 ish. ONly way to beat that price is if you can score some good condition used parts on www.corral.net or someplace like that. You could get hubs and front rotors for a considerable savings if you are willing to wait for the deals, but those cobra rear hubs are hot ticket items that go quick.

does anyone have part numbers for the rear hubs?? all i can seem to find for the cobras are rear wheel bearings, also can i just redrill the hubs and isntalled new studs? just need to know if anyone has done it thanks alot

Yes, the rears can be redrilled for the 1/2" studs. They are flat on the backside:

rbearing.jpg

duhhhhh.....completely forgot there was a day when we HAD to redrill hubs! Yeah, that is probably your cheapest way unless you find a good deal on used cobra hubs which I doubt you can get a used pair for under $100.

cool thanks alot!!!! another ?'s can i drill the front and just make a flat spot on the back so the studs sit flat???

cool thanks alot!!!! another ?'s can i drill the front and just make a flat spot on the back so the studs sit flat???

Take it to a machine shop or tire shop that knows what to do. You won't want to do it yourself. they can then press the new studs in for ya. Hole size is critical, as is location.

if you just redrill hubs will you need hub ecentric rings to use the stang rims?

I thought I read somewhere that teh stang and tbird were different sizes

Back