PDA

View Full Version : Battery drain problem, IRCM?

ddwood55
10-21-2008, 09:29 PM
I've sold the SC on ebay, the lady is coming to pick it up on Saturday. I thought I had this problem fixed. If you are driving it every day the battery goes down but if you let it set 3 to 5 days the battery will be completely dead.

I gave her the option of backing out and not buying the SC but she said it was her dream car and she wanted it. So I told her I'd try and figure it out before she picked it up.

Here's the testing procedure I did. I unhooked the positive battery cable then I put a light betweed the cable and battery post. Lit up very bright. I pulled the fuse for memory and courtesy lights. Then I started pulling fuses one at a time. Started under the dash first. Found no problems there. Then I went to the box under the hood and started pulling fuses. When I got to the 30 amp fuel pump motor fuse the light went out. Oh forgot it's a 1990 SC 5speed. Then I plugged the fuse back in and of course the light came back on. So I removed the air box and unplugged the IRCM, the light went out. So I'm assuming it's the IRCM, correct?

Now this is not the original IRCM. A while back when I was trying to get the A/C running (the compressor would not come on) I replaced the IRCM with a used one a friend of mine had. It came off of a cougar. I didn't know at the time but it wasn't a supercharge car, (not even sure if they had supercharged cougars or not) But anyway the IRCM is off a standard V6 cougar also a 90 model. Not sure how close it was to being interchangeable but it did make the A/C compressor work!

First do I have this diagnosed correctly? And it is the IRCM. Or do I need to look at something else?

Second and you give me the correct part number for the IRCM for the SC? I found one I saved but I'm not sure if it from the SC or not.

Hope someone can help me out, untill then I'll keep searching the forum.

Thanks,
Delos

frdlvr30
10-21-2008, 09:41 PM
You have looked at things correctly. May I suggest something else though. Unhook the light inside of the center console and check and see of your problem by chance goes away. I had the same problem with my car when I bought it. Replaced the center console lid and wahlaa. Just a quick check before you go replacing ICRM's. This apparently a common problem...

ddwood55
10-21-2008, 10:21 PM
I'll check that too. But with it showing a draw with the fuse pulled for the courtesy lights and unplugging the fuse or IRCM is the only way I can stop the drain.

I did find the correct part number for the IRCM E9SF-12B577-AA. The part number for the IRCM on it right now is F6SF-12B577-AA. So I know it has the wrong IRCM.

Delos

frdlvr30
10-21-2008, 10:26 PM
I'll check that too. But with it showing a draw with the fuse pulled for the courtesy lights and unplugging the fuse or IRCM is the only way I can stop the drain.

I did find the correct part number for the IRCM E9SF-12B577-AA. The part number for the IRCM on it right now is F6SF-12B577-AA. So I know it has the wrong IRCM.

Delos

Yes, an F6SF-AA is a 1996 part number. Sounds like you have a 1989 vehicle (E9SF-AA) I completely agree, if the test light went out when you pulled the ICRM, thats gotta be a problem. Just giving you another common problem....

ddwood55
10-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Actually mine is a 90 model but I think the 89 and 90 were the same. At least that's what I've come up with reading all the post I've read tonight! :)

frdlvr30
10-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Actually mine is a 90 model but I think the 89 and 90 were the same. At least that's what I've come up with reading all the post I've read tonight! :)

Most of the parts for the years 89-93 probably have E9 part numbers....

ddwood55
10-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the info. It would be a lot better if I had an amp meter instead of using just a light! And I will check that light in the console, it very well could be a problem too.

I would just like to at least be able to tell the lady buying the SC what the exact problem is. She said this was her dream car and she has a lot of things to deal with on the car to get it perfect again.

Thanks again,
Delos

sinhumane
10-21-2008, 11:46 PM
yeah, i thought my ircm went out too... the one from a 96 WILL NOT work for your car, and thats what is causing your battery to run dead, if i had wiring handy, i'd point out the differences, but it seems to me that a relay is energized, and stays that way because there is no switch to tell it not to be. get an ircm from your car, or another SC, not sure what years cross over, i checked rockauto, and it gave me part refs. one was also a lincoln continental.

Wzenheimer
10-22-2008, 09:29 AM
If you need a IRCM for a 90 SC I'm pretty sure I have one let me know. $15 shipped USPS.

Chris

frdlvr30
10-22-2008, 01:51 PM
If you need a IRCM for a 90 SC I'm pretty sure I have one let me know. $15 shipped USPS.

Chris

There you go...problem solved

sinhumane
10-22-2008, 02:16 PM
cross ref. your parts

ddwood55
10-22-2008, 06:50 PM
There you go...problem solved

Sent PM

Thanks,
Delos

ddwood55
10-22-2008, 08:26 PM

Chris

PM sent. Thanks

ddwood55
10-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Well I got the IRCM from Wzenheimer Saturday. Worked great and everything is fine. Still going to check out the light in the console. I noticed looking at it the other day the lid is a little springy, it shuts and the latch catches but it raises a little bit so the light might not be going out.

Now my problem is they haven't pick the t-bird up yet. Call them Saturday after I got the IRCM installed. Called twice Sunday and they still haven't made contact to pickup the t-bird. OH well, I'll give them another day and file a non paying bidder report with ebay.

Delos

Wzenheimer
10-27-2008, 10:11 AM
If the hood isn't shutting properly just pull the bulb out.

If your still getting a draining problem you might want to pull the alternator and check to see if the diodes are bad. What happens is when they go bad when you shut your car off the electomagnet inside of it will stay energized and drain your battery overnight. Just a thought.

Chris

ScrapSC
10-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Yup like he said. I had that same problem but on a Mazda 626. It was the altenator causing the drain....

ddwood55
10-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks guys. So far everything is good. Changed it out Saturday about noon. Started fine last night and this morning checked battery voltage and it was 12.9.

Delos