Installing Chip

Dahoopd

I know this is a dumb question but..........To install my chip. Do I just unplug the computer in the kick panel and put it in than plug the harness back in? Is that it?

Thanks

actually you dont need to unplug the eec from the harness at all. the chip attaches to the service port on the opposite side of the eec as the harness. youll want to clean the port well before you put the chip on it otherwise you might have issues with it. before you put it back in put some tape on the chip to make sure it stays inplace when you shove it back in the kick panel

I know this is a dumb question but..........To install my chip. Do I just unplug the computer in the kick panel and put it in than plug the harness back in? Is that it?

Thanks

You will need to remove the outer kick panel, the inner panel and probably dump the contents of the glove compartment and push the retaining tabs inward so it will fold all the way open.

The EEC it held in place by a white plastic cage that can be loosened up to allow the EEC to be wiggled down towards the floor a little. Then use a 10 mm socket on a 1/4 drive rachet to loosen the EEC harness retaining bolt. With bolt all the way unscrewed the harness will then pull off the end of the EEC. Push it to the side and wiggle the EEC the rest of the way out.

On the opposite end of the harness there is a port with a rectangular plastic plug. Remove it because that is where the chip goes...but the surface must be cleaned before installing the chip or it won't make good contact. Easiest way to clean it is to unscrew the case and pull the cover off the side then you can reach the access port easily. Lightly rub the contact surface area with a mildly abrasive material like a scotch brite pad, being very carefull not to rub to hard. It's just a printed circuit board so take it real easy and just remove the factory coating and not the contact strips.

Screw the case back together, determine which way the chip goes on (only fits in one direction) and firmly press it into position. Then wrap a piece of duct tape across the back of the computer covering the chip. This holds it in place and helps to keep dust out of the EEC.

Before going to all the trouble of reinstalling the EEC into the kick panel...just hook up the harness with it laying on the passenger side floor and try starting to the car to make sure everything is okay. If it starts it's probably okay, so you can remove the EEC harness and partially install the EEC back into the white plastic cage, then reattach harness and snug the bolt down only enough to seat the harness onto the EEC connector. Shove it the rest of the way back up into the cage, replace the kick panels, put the glove box back like it belongs...and then have a couple well deserved beers.

David

Last edited:
Chip Installation for Dummies

Thank you Gentlemen, and Dave I do appreciate the "Chip Installation for Dummies"...lol. I don't need anymore issues right now with the car. I need to make sure I do it right.

Thanks again.

"And since I don't drink anymore, a Burnout will have to suffice".

Just to add!

With the instructions I got and what Dave had told me to take the computer apart to separate the case and cut a little off of each side of the case cause on the early models the chip will hit the case and as Dave N. said to put duck tape around the edges of the case just in case the chip doesn't accidently hit the case and ground out.

Thought I'd chime in:)

Tom

Back