attaching gfx to rocker panel...

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
I noticed that the the lower GFX on the drivers side of my 89 is hanging...after some inspection I noticed that the metal piece to which the GFX attaches to (or hangs) got rusted out and was laying inside the GFX (thankfully no rust in the actual rocker area:eek:).

I'm wondering if I need to get that same metal piece from another SC or are there other alternatives?

Also, how would i go about re-attaching this piece to the rocker panel? I"ve heard from some local members that you have to rivet the piece in place. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

I was told they are the same as the fox body GT's but not as long. I havent verified it. I can get them made in stainless steel if you need them. I would just pop rivet them back on.

on a side note: find me a lx rear cover in white and I will give you my rear cover, GFX and hardware.

Last edited:
I was recently messing with mine at school. I dont what pieces of metal you have to use. But they are riveted on there so you will need to pop rivet the new piece on also.

-Jon

I would just drill new holes and rivet it back on. If there isn't enough good metal left to rivet to then you'll have to do some bodywork. I attached the SC rails to my XR7 via heavy duty pop rivets and it worked great.

Last edited:
jeremy, on mine the rail was rusted and came completely off...the actual rocker panel is ok..zero rust thankfully, so I'm just going to get my hands on another rail and rivet it back on there.

Damian, you have an aproximate price for the stainless steel ones?

Dahoopd said:
I was told they are the same as the fox body GT's but not as long.
Unfortunately, they are not the same :(. I ordered the GT ones and had to send them back.. they are not quite the same shape and the SC skirts just don't fit into those brackets properly. I had to get the SC-specific brackets (they were available about 6 years ago from Ford, but I don't know about getting them now).

When I had the bodyshop replace mine, I zinc-coated them and had them fastened to the rockers with stainless-steel sheet metal screws instead of rivets.

I
on a side note: find me a lx rear cover in white and I will give you my rear cover, GFX and hardware.

Ive got a 94 LX rear bumper in WT .. except its all the way here in Cali .. :rolleyes:

I picked up a spare set of fenders to replace my SC's and the brackets are all rusted out on these ones - my original set is good so i might either swap them, or use something to neutralize the Rust.

Let us know what you can do with the stainless ones .. those would actually be a nice thing to replace them with.

- Dan

Back