Gears-has it been done?

T1Bird

Alright, after much thought on the situation I thought Id see what people think, im talking purely for track use here. My car seems to make peak power 4800-5000rpm, Im currently running 2.73;s still going through the traps at say 5100rpm.

I've been researching to see if anyone has tried 3.73's in a 5spd at the track, and can't seem to find anyone that has. This will put you through the traps in 4th instead of 3rd, your 1 to 1 gear, and about 5100 rpm with 26.1 inch tall tires. Do you think that 1/4 mile times would improve, or just the 1/8th mile?

Just Curious.

Last edited:
Well I'll tell you that I had 3.73's with my 5-speed by accident. The shop that I had order them got 3.73's instead of 3.27's like I asked for. Well I never checked and went home and tossed them in. For weeks I was wondering why the car was over reving and 1st and 2nd gear were nearly useless. At the track I was going through the traps in 4th at 6k!. I finally took it home, popped the cover off, counted the teeth and sure enough I had the wrong gears.

I finally put in 3.27's a week later. IMO 3.27's are the perfect gear for the track. I pass the traps in 4th around 4500rpms. I know people that have 3.08 as well and have good results, but stay in 3rd gear around the same RPM.

Whatever you do..DO NOT get 3.73's for a 5-speed.

Last edited:
Bruce,
I found that 3.55 were a good compromise. The car pulled hard in all gears and 1 and 2nd were still pretty good on the street. I can't remember the rpms through the traps. In some ways I wish I still had them. I am going to try 4.11 next but with a different manual transmission for next year that way I can get the best of all the options.

John

My car came with 3.73 gears and my car falls on its face on the 2-3 shift...and still goes up to 5500....I'm going to figure something out..

I still have stock gears in the garage....maybe go back to stock gears and add more power :confused:

Back