Tranny Swap

TheAWK

Hello,

This was originally posted in FAQ today but thought this might be a better fit for it.

I currently have 2 thunderbirds, both are 1990's. the first has a manual transmission is the 35th anniversary and has a rotted body. the second is not a 35th but has a clean body and a decent enough transmission. just fully rebuilf the engine with new cam pistons the works. as well as machining the block and heads.

Now i prefer the manual transmission but the car it is in will never be drievable again.

Does anyone know how much time or effort it will take to convert the car i want to run? Is it pop out plates or will i have to cut everything out?

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There should be plenty of information on the boards about this. Besides switching the obvious parts (transmission, driveshaft, pedals, flywheel, center console, etc.) I know that many recommend swapping the EEC computer also. There is a difference in the configurations between auto and manual EEC's.

It doesn't seem like it would be a very difficult task, and I know that many here have or are doing it on here.

Thanks

I also had issues firing up my newly rebuilt engine from the Manual car in the Automatic car. Would this be the problem with the EEC?

Thanks

I also had issues firing up my newly rebuilt engine from the Manual car in the Automatic car. Would this be the problem with the EEC?

Thanks

Could be, but not likely. Check all grounds, vaccum lines, and connectors.
Check the stored codes IF ANY (may not be indicated by a CEL)

And the swap isnt bad, it can be done in a weekend if you have all the parts and some good help

-Tony

so you basically want to swap your auto for the manual correct? ive done the swap in a 94 and it wasnt that bad. took me a little while (2 weeks using hobby shop on a marine corps base) since i was by myself. the time that took the most was getting the clutch pedal out of the doner car and into the good car. getting to the trans bolts, lining up the manual trans input shaft, and getting the clutch pedal in were the hardest parts. but other than that its pretty straight forward. the firewall has the spots marked with 4 dimples for where the clutch pedal is supposed to go. drill the 3 outside ones with a bit thats close to to the size of the bolts that you have for the clutch pedal and use a 2in hole saw bit for the hole where the clutch master cylinder is going to go. the brake pedal is easy to install as well as pretty much everything thats left. just keep in mind that the clutch pedal is going to be the hardest part of the install.....unless you remove the entire dash. if you do decide to do this and have any questioins, shoot me a pm.

Back