Start problem

IGot6UGot8

I got my 91 SC all put back together after changing the head gaskets, crank, and cam sensors. Now when I try to start it, it will fire up and run rough for a few seconds, then die. If I try to start it up immediately after, it will turn over (kinda rough, not smooth) but will not fire. If I let it sit for a while, it will start once and die again. At first, I thought I had knocked the crank sensor out, but the upshift arrow goes out when cranking. What else should I look for?

Thanks
Jake
Still waiting to drive my 91 for the first time

Did you double check that the plug wires are going to the correct cyliners?

Always start with the obvious and cheapest fixes...

I labeled them, so I'm pretty sure. Does anyone online have something that will show me how the wires go on the coil and what cylinders are where? Otherwise, I guess I can take a trip to the library.

Thanks
Jake

The cylinders are numbered like so.
Front to back, left to right.

3 6
2 5
1 4

Front
of
engine

The coil pack has numbers stamped in ink to represent the proper plug wire locations. If yours has worn off, they are as follows...

4 6 5
3 2 1
Cond. 4 wire plug.
I'm not sure how they mount in the car as my wife has it. I am holding a spare coil pack in my hand, thats why I labeled where the condensor and plug are. Good luck.

clean the top of the coil pack off and you'll see the numbers stamped next to each terminal. You didn't mess with or unplug the cam sensor? I had the same thing with an 88 5.0 Bird and it was a timing problem.

On my '90 it looks like this when you are
looking in from the front.

1 2 3
5 6 4
Coil pack
Front of engine

Also..Maybe the fuel pump relay needs to be reset.

Last edited:
I see you replaced the cam sensor too!

I THINK I have read posts in here that claim it is possible to put the cam sensor in 180° backwards. That would screw it up no?!?
If you flip the cam sensor 180° that may fix it.

Would someone in here with this experience please tell me if my memory serves me correctly or if I am smoking the "cheap stuff" LOL!

Its possible (and sounds like what happened) to have the sychronizer (The base with a gear that the sensor fits into) off. This is what happened to the 5.0 that I worked on (except it was the distributor but they have the same basic function).

Well it's fixed... the wires were off. It's still running rough, but I'm sure that will smooth out.

Thanks for all the help.

Jake

Back