Wideband o2 options

Douglas Walker

For those of you that are running wideband o2s. What would be a good kit for a beginner. Something that is just a plug and very little play. With A reasonable price. Links and or part #'s for kits would be appreciated.

Thanks
Doug

The innovate stuff is actually quite simple if all you want to do is record o2. The LM2 is their latest and has some stuff that is useless for us (i.e. talking to obd2) but it has a display, can log the wide band to a memory card, so it doesn't really need to connect to a computer to tell you anything. Though you can down load the data, or log it directly to a computer.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php

I mention that one, because I have their LM1 and it works well. They have a LC1 which doesn't have a display (you can buy one separately) and you need a computer or the display to log it. There may be other simple just wide band that are cheaper as well.

Innovate Motorsports LC1 with DB gauge is a nice easy setup for a quick and permanent display. Simply hook up the wires, place the gauge in the pod and you have a nice simple display. I've had mine for 2 years and no problems, just a recalibration each year.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/db.php

With this setup that you have, someone could datalog your A/F ratio and use this for chip programming, correct? I think I'm starting to get an idea what all is going on here....maybe...:)

Yes, you can log AF, but you have no reference to RPM or any other sensor data. You'll need an Aux box with the LC1 to due full data logging.

So the plots you would generate - are they A/F ratio with respect to time? What exactly is this "aux box" - a another part Innovate sells?

So...if you're going to tune your own car - does the process work something like this:

Acquire & install equipment to modify the computer's data (chips, adapters, etc.)

Have equipment to monitor A/F ratio with respect to RPM

Have software to edit EEC data and separate software to log the A/F ratio vs. RPMs - and here is where the actual "tuning" happens

After making your modifications, burn the new "program" to a chip and insert into/onto your EEC

I'm trying to get a grasp on what all I need and what I don't need for all this. I'd like to do basic tuning myself with all the equipment I need at home. I'm thinking about using the items Moates.net lists on their website for Ford vehicles and using Innovate equipment to obtain the datalogging that I need. Everyone has a different answer

Hopefully I'm not hacking up these terms...just trying to understand, like so many others on here. :)

Maybe I just need to read everything again and start my own thread about this...sorry for the attempted highjack! :eek:

See Members Only Tuning Forum, tons of info on this subject, install guides, and bunches of more info.

That's what I meant when I said I needed to reread things ;)

Look for my confused post there before too long. :D

Back