Synthetic Vs Convetional...

livn

Anyone have any oppinions on the two? Is almost triple the money worth it for synthetic? or does just regular conventional do just fine for most?

Well...

As the old saying goes.... "You get what you pay for"
I bought a new Mustang GT off the showroom floor in '2000 and it has had Mobile 1 5w30 in it since the very first oil change. I change the oil every three thousand miles.
That is going to be one of the first things I bring up if I ever have to sell it! I would not be so proud if we were discussing conventional oil because synthetic oil is manufactured to be superior. Like Porche, synthetic is becoming mandatory for some exotic cars.
It is not rational for most people to use synthetic oil being that it is so expensive, and the fact that an engine should have a good long life if one changes his or her oil every two thousand miles.:rolleyes:

I've always figured that if you change your oil every 3,000 miles (which I don't think is necessary--oil change company conspiracy theory ;)) that there's no real benefit to using synthetic. If you go longer between changes is when it would be beneficial. I don't think that dino oil breaks down enough in just 3,000 miles to warrant needing the synthetic.
However, if you're changing your own oil, there really isn't that much of a price difference. It's when you pay an oil change place that they way overcharge you for it. It's ridiculous that they charge an extra $25-30 for that. Change it yourself and the cost difference isn't so bad, so it may be worth it for peace of mind.

Well another thing to consider.. Its been dyno proven to give an extra 3-5rwhp on a Mustang when they switched from conventional to Mobil 1.. Ergo you car runs faster.. O and syntehtic oils last till 6k not till 3k.. So u get double the life of em..

Oil

I dont know what would be best for our motors, but when i had my 455 pontiac built up, the guy who built my motor (he knows his sh*t), replied when i asked if i should run synthetic with: "you dont want synthetic in something like this, u need something heavy for a big motor. That synthetic sh*t is garbage in anything but a honda" Im sure that was a generalization, but maybe it holds true for our cars too, maybe they are as tightly built as the new motors that synthetics are required to run in. Can anyone enlighten us?

Wal-mart

Wal-mart makes the decision to use Mobil 1 a little easier when you can get the 5-qt jug for $17.88

Not too bad.

oh ya?

Well I have a 79 civic hatchback that fits on sidewalks AND has run with no oil in the crank, or water in the radiator for 3 months! Im trying to kill the POS, but it just wont die!!! DIE damn it, DIE!!!! hehehe

syn VS dino

In an abnormally hard working supercharged engine such as ours, synthetic or synthetic blend oils have significant benefits, most of which amount to reducing wear. I have also seen previous posts mentioning prevention of certain design flaw failures in engines by the use of synthetic oils.. I believe it was due to their higher flash point. Here is a good link:

<A HREF="http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html">Oil-Overview</A>

And another:

<A HREF="http://www.mccne.com/thetechcorner.htm">The Tech Corner</A>

Another?:

<A HREF="http://www.chicagolandbuick.org/fast_times/information/General_info.html">General Oil info (military technition)</A>

Also, about leaks. When an engine has used dino oil for a significant period of time, say 80,000 miles, particles and debris build up in the engine near the seals from the dino oil. When A high mileage engine is switched to synthetic, the syn cleans these particles away. It does this so well that particles are removed from worn seals which were previously preventing leaks. A good mechanic will verify this. This is not always a problem, and kind of hard to predict, tho it seems Mobil 1 has had fewer instances of this.

Back