? about pushrod length w/CM cam/heads/Scorpions

z90sc

......anyone have a part# for 7.200" length pushrods....I replaced the stock rockers with 1.73 Scorpion RR's and the chevy 305 # 7808-16 rods that were recommended when using "search" are too short......much to much play between the rods and the rockers......would appreciate any help/suggestions.I used a pushrod checker and it came up 7.200.....
thanks,
z

You should probably check your length again. 7808's are 7.205" already. If you have "clearance" right now then you are going to need at least .050" more length, and maybe more. For best geometry I often use 7.300's and a .030" shim but that also depends somewhat on what your valve tip heights are.

You should probably check your length again. 7808's are 7.205" already. If you have "clearance" right now then you are going to need at least .050" more length, and maybe more. For best geometry I often use 7.300's and a .030" shim but that also depends somewhat on what your valve tip heights are.

Z, I have a set of brand new 7.200 if you'd like to try them...

.....frdlvr30 had a set of 7.300's and after install there's no compression in #1
cylinder...apparantly 7.3's are too long and a valve is hanging open...so where do we go from here?Gotta' give props to Keith [nickleman 60] and Dave[frdlvr30] for all their help and time trying to get this problem worked out.....
z

Perhaps we should look into shims? That would put us at 7.270...

They make an inexpensive tool you can use to find the ideal push rod length. It is basically an adjustable push rod. You then can find the length you need pretty easily.

z90sc;779580I said:
used a pushrod checker and it came up 7.200.....
thanks,
z

Maybe you should elaborate on exactly what you did to come up with this number. I had to go with 7.2" pushrods, the important thing is that you know how to measure for what length you need.

Last edited:
...I kinda' think that when I ordered the original rods,which were supposed to be 7.2's,that I was sent a mis-labeled set.......when I compared what I received with the stock pushrods they were the same length....this whole thing would never have happened if I had just done the side by side prior to install..........thanks for everyones' help and suggestions...
z

Back