P/S pump reservoir came apart

parrot_hd

Always something with this car. When doing the brakes this weekend, I found a puddle of fluid under the frt end. Upon inspecting the source I found it was coming from the P/S pump.

The p/s reservoir had come apart at the top of the tube. It looks like the top tube of the reservoir clips onto the rest of the reservoir with an oring seal that seals the two together.

I can get them reseated to gether but if I pull on the P/S stick/cap it comes apart again.

Common sense tells me that there may be some contamonation at this point and I need to replace the entire pump. I searched around but didn't come up with anything.

The pump looks to be original with the yellow colored reservoir.

Is this a common problem?

Thans again.

I was just informed by a freind of mine that the top of the reservoir has to be turned to lock on. I will try that tonight when I get home.

If this works I will plan on flushing the fluid and add new. Sounds easy enough.

Chris

Last edited:
Be careful with that tapered tube. You can't get those anymore. You can use the power steering cap from a regular Thunderbird. It's just harder to get to because of the intercooler tube. That is why the yellow extension tube exists - just to improve access on the SC models.

Thanks Mazza, doing P/S fluid checks look less then desirable with the tube, couldn't imagine having to do them without. Good to know a regular cap will work though just in case.

Chris

Back