Woe is me...Blown SC?

tbirdman

119,000 miles on my '92 SC, and I think that the Supercharger might have gone south. On the boost gauge, the needle is right in the middle, and does not move from vacuum to boost. I also do not hear that characteristic whine any longer from the supercharger that I used to hear. I've checked the supercharger belt, which is intact.

I don't know what it might be, but guessing that the supercharger is bad, I have a couple questions.

Question #1; If the supercharger has gone bad, will it hurt the engine if I just leave it as is until I can do something to get it fixed?

Question #2; What are my options are far as replacing the supercharger? What I'm asking about, is it worth it to replace the supercharger? Do I go with a re-manufactured supercharger, or a used one, or buy a brand new supercharger from Ford and have them put it on? Does anyone have any idea on what the costs associated with any of these options might be? Also, would it be better to buy an aftermarket supercharger, and are there any that are direct bolt on replacements for the factory supercharger?

I've given some thought that if the SC ever did go bad, instead of replacing it, to just go ahead and replace the whole engine with a brand new Ford SVT 4.6L engine, along the lines of a Cobra engine. I realize that this is a lot of work, and there are many other factors involved than just changing the engine out (wiring harnesses, tranny), however, if the cost of replacing the supercharger becomes cost prohibitive (why spend $2000 putting a new blower on a worn out engine when I can have a brand new engine for $4000), a new engine might be something to look at.

Any and all help, comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I value any ideas I get from this forum a lot more than those from my local money hungry Ford service center!

Check the connection of the tube for the boost gague to the plenum. It could have just come off. You would loose vaccum through this also

I have a freshly rebuilt 1990 supercharger by Magnum Power that I will sell for $300 that has never been installed. I will throw in the inlet plenum and $50 worth of extra fluid. You pay the shipping.

Back