quick question about batteries

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Is the general rule bigger is better with car batteries? My 92 stang has a smaller battery than our tbirds use, but it has a tray that is the size of our car batteries. I havent looked at the specs for each battery, but I was wondering...as long as our thunderbird batteries have the same or more output than the smaller stang battery, could I use it in my stang? Apparently the physical dimentions wont matter because a bigger battery will fit in the mustang tray.

I really would like to keep all my batteries the same...u know, just in case one dies you can always borrow another battery until you get a replacement.

I had been wondering about this for about a month, but never posted. I'ts funny because monday I decide to drive the stang which had been resting for at least a couple weeks and guess what:p??? haha....battery is dead:rolleyes:. thanks for any help

>Apparently the physical dimentions wont matter because a bigger battery will fit in the mustang tray.

Including height? Will the Mustang alternator/wiring support a 'bigger' battery. Cable size to the alternator versus amp rating of the alternator can matter.

I might suggest that you are over thinking this - you said any swap would be temporary, so what's the big deal with 'standardizing' batteries between cars?

The 'birds are typically loaded with bells/whistles needing an electrical system that I would speculate is routinely 'larger' than that of an average Mustang. Attempting to average things between the two would risk one of them being short-changed. Bringing one car up to a higher standard would also require an alternator capable of servicing a larger capacity battery...money wasted if that system doesn't demand such abilities.

Finally, if you must have a stand-by that will cover both cars, make it one battery that is kept on a trickle and have a deadline for how long it stays in service...keep it as your 'ready line' and be happy. Focus on keeping both cars healthy rather than how to keep them in support mode for each other.

Cable size to the alternator versus amp rating of the alternator can matter.
I would say the cable size would be fine since the max amp output of the alternator would not change just because the battery has a greater capacity.

>cable size would be fine

Unless the alternator is upgraded to go along with a bigger battery. Domino effect, reflective of many/common upgrades, was the point.

Unless the alternator is upgraded to go along with a bigger battery. Domino effect, reflective of many/common upgrades, was the point.
That makes sense, I wasn't thinking of the upgraded alternator.:)
So if the Tbird battery physically fits in the Mustang it should be no problem to use correct? But the a stock Mustang battery more than likely does not have an adequete capacity for the Tbird.

Right - too much risk that a bi-lateral application wouldn't pan out - even in the short-term. One busted car at a time seems enough :)

i was just thinking in terms of convenience...if one goes, i'll have the other to borrow...since I drive the cars maybe a week a month (if that) i'd like to konw I can drive with another battery w/o issues.

In any case, i've been driving the stang for a few days with a tbird battery w no issues. :)

i was just thinking in terms of convenience...if one goes, i'll have the other to borrow...since I drive the cars maybe a week a month (if that) i'd like to konw I can drive with another battery w/o issues.

In any case, i've been driving the stang for a few days with a tbird battery w no issues. :)

...of course.

Let's see you drive the 'bird around for a while w/the stang's battery and see what happens.

Always interesting why people ask questions like this when it's clear they already have their minds made up...

Last edited:
Back