PDA

View Full Version : Can a v8 be dropped into a '89 supercoupe

_T-BERG_
09-16-2002, 11:50 PM
k here is my story

I have a Dodge Daytona which i got a rad deal on and it;s a great car, but i want a thunderbird as i have for about 2 years...

My dad was going to sell me his, and then i didn't have enough money so i just bought the Chrysler.

My dad was drivin the t-bird up the mountains when the engine over heated and blew. the engine's hooped.

i was thinking buying the car off him, and dropping a 302 into it. would it work? is it commonly done? would it be a good / bad idea?

dans93SC
09-17-2002, 02:06 AM
HAHAHAHA thats a wicked sig!!

fast Ed
09-17-2002, 01:05 PM
It could be done, but you would pretty much need a 91 - 93 5.0 T-Bird parts car that you could get EVERYTHING from to use ... mounts, exhaust, manifolds, radiator, brackets, wiring, sensors, linkages, etc. etc. ... Would be a pretty big undertaking, not liking doing an engine swap on a 60s or 70s car where you just pull one out, change the mounts, and put the different motor in.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Brad
09-17-2002, 03:06 PM
i think one of the guys in the club is either going thru this, or knows someone that is doing it right now. I was talking to him about it several months ago and all i can remember him saying is that it was an awful lot of work

Back n black bird
09-17-2002, 06:53 PM
anything is possible if you have enough money

_T-BERG_
09-17-2002, 08:16 PM
oh i forgot to mention his SC is '89

Back n black bird
09-17-2002, 08:32 PM
the year doesn't matter

FordPOWER INC
09-21-2002, 03:45 PM
the absolute best way is to do it cheaply and simple is to co with a carb'd engine, its wayyyy simpler, and WAYYYYY cheaper

but i will have bad gas milage, and require a bit of tuning on a regular basis.

U could get a rocking buit 5.0 for a few g's and it would drop right in. U could also find an ok one for $900.

Its the ghetto way but very simple and cheap, plus power is wayy better when u have more $$$ for the engine and not mods to make it work

Ray

91 XR7
09-21-2002, 04:09 PM
Well also FI wouldn't be HARD.. specially if you use an Aftermarket FI harness.. But the Weeding out of the old SC harness will be a ~~~~.. (why have the added weight?) but all and all a few good weeks of work (hour wise) and you should be luaghing :) also getting the Stock SC tach to work with the V8 is a VERY simple thing to do..

Also that S/C sound is sweet, but there's nothing like a rumble of a V8.. Drove a guy home last night, and First time i pressed the gas he's like `Oh Man, I love that sound' Mind you the rumble of a V8 mixed with a bit of S/C whurl is sweet too..

Also if you have Q's feel free to ask..

FordPOWER INC
09-21-2002, 07:47 PM
hey kev, for #$@%@ sakes e-mail me back, LOL

havent talked to u for a while

FordPOWER INC
09-21-2002, 08:11 PM
duh no ****

what do u think i said in the post

carb'd is the ghetto cheap ~~~ way to do it, if u got the $$ do it efi

geeze

Ray

FordPOWER INC
09-21-2002, 08:24 PM
ha ha ha i know, i was wondering why u had to say the exact same thing??

oh ya your a DUMBASS,

lol im not here to bash ppl just you :)

luznit
09-21-2002, 10:30 PM
Hey Ray,
Maybe think before you call somebody name name's.How good are you w/ the engine anyway?Think!!!!!!!!!!Just a friendly advice.

FordPOWER INC
09-21-2002, 10:52 PM
sorry miles i ment no disrespect to anyone except assclown. I was going after him because in another thread he was being a prick to ppl, (including bill, plus he still using his pic in his sig even tho bill said to lose it) and i told him to shut his mouth and grow up, then a flame war started. Sorry for it spilling into this thread, he started beashing me in every post i made because he was angery at me. Pretty relentless huh? Anyway sorry for ppl having to see that. Its sad some ppl arn't that mature. Including me, the maturity level dropped 3 notches after a few posts LOL

thanks

ray

AsScLoWn
09-22-2002, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by FordPOWER INC
i ment no disrespect to anyone except assclown. I was going after him because in another thread he was being a prick to ppl... Its sad some ppl arn't that mature. Including me, the maturity level dropped 3 notches after a few posts LOL

thanks

ray
since you keep chatting about me in your posts probably due to the fact you're a real thrill seeker or just some really cool guy, not a total loser:rolleyes:

...wow a real life hero on the internet with no life(say it aint so) SAVE ME SAVE EVERYONE... nutjob:rolleyes: