Questions about pullies

Jamez

I've been doing some research on little improvements I can make when the weather gets bad here. One of them has to do with aluminum pullies. Looks like its easy enough to find the crank, jackshaft, and blower ones. I also found some threads regarding a person (or company) who once made water pump and alternator pullies, but no longer. Does a complete set of aluminum pullies exist? I only care because spinningwheels claims 12-15hp for the crank pulley alone: http://spinningwheels-sc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=130

Does that seem possible? I know the thing is heavy, but I don't fully understand rotating mass either.

I also searched for aluminum tensioner pullies on the board as well as Google. Looks like some have tried one-off or even pullies made for other vehicles that happen to be wide enough and have available bearings to fit. Anyone manufacture bolt-on ones?

I think during winter I will get new belts, stronger tensioner springs, and continue my search for lightweight pullies. I was also going to ask about overdriving the early M90, but I think I'm just going to find a '94/5 or better and throw a 5% jackshaft pulley on it. Trying to make my n/a motor last a while under boost anyways.

and pulley that is lighter than the stock pulley will use less energy to rotate, there forth lighter pulleys will result in more power. the chances of it being anything that you will notice are slim. as for the tensioners, you dont really need anything more then stock unless you have some major work done to the enigine. some new stock 1's never hurt though. if your looking for fast bolt on power getsome od pulley,sc and crank. make sure you have good exaust for that though. k&n air filter doesnt really do anything either other then i did notice i got about 1.5 mpg better with it. lighter pulleys and or (power pulley's) do help a lil with response times. other then that dont expect to much :)

Yeah I don't plan on doing a whole lot in terms of overdriving. Its on a Mustang 3.8 so the 10psi I have now is plenty.

Anyone have better luck with any particular company for new tensioners? Looks like all the usual auto parts stores sell aftermarket ones.

I also found some threads regarding a person (or company) who once made water pump and alternator pullies, but no longer. Does a complete set of aluminum pullies exist?

The illusive set of aluminum pulleys you mention, where SCI pulleys made by Ryan Harris. They are no longer in production. If you use a Magnum Powers 10% overdrive pulley you will be unable to use a under drive water pump pulley. As for tensioner pulleys I used 03-04 Cobra tensioner pulleys from Metco. I did a short write up on it:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101236&highlight=tensioner+pulley+cobra+metco

I hadn't planned on underdriving anything. Sure wish you would do an A/C re-installation write-up. Us swap guys would have all the write-ups we need :)

Do you know the dimensions of a stock tensioner pulley? Just by a simple Google search it looks like its not too difficult to find a pulley by dimensions and see what car it comes from. Might be an issue with finding other factory pullies that are wide enough, however.

Back