PDA

View Full Version : Screw charge, Turbo, MPX, S-port. What would you kill for.

ricardoa1
11-11-2008, 08:05 PM
If you are given 3 choices from our vendors. Knowing what each power adder is capable off. What would you choose.

No dreaming either.

Edit I meant to put turbo on number two. ARGh

rzimmerl
11-11-2008, 08:23 PM
I voted #1, as I am going down the path to the darkside now.

superdadsc
11-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Turbo hands down and hold onto my stock setup just in case. Tired of high acts from the blower and dumping lots of money for 300 hp and still having to run the motor on lots of boost.

You could run the car on 12 to 15lbs of boost and make silly power.

Stephen

pablon2
11-12-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm already 'in too deep' so I'd go with whatever short of getting rid of my current block.

kenewagner
11-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Number 1 but I can assure you I wont be spending 4,000 bucks. I like the supercharger vs turbo. Dont particularly feel like reinventing the wheel on my car now. Now if I had a second SC I wont hesitate to try a turbo for the fun of it. But thats a pipe dream as the one car is expensive enough;)

Ken

David Neibert
11-12-2008, 12:55 PM
I like idea of turbocharging an SC, but I like the twin screw supercharger even more.

David

Mikessupercoupe
11-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Has anyone run a turbo on a Supercoupe 3.8 with out blowing up there motor? Seems that it should work good but haven't really seen anyone with long term success or maybe I just don't know. Twin screw going on 5 years now over 400 rwhp.
now.

Mike:D

ricardoa1
11-12-2008, 01:54 PM
I see that some of the votes are partial to set ups they already have. :cool:
So if you are one of those people voting, imagine that you are to do it all over again, and only have the options given.
:D

I also hope that the too broke option does not offend anyone, it is not my intention. I just wanted to see if you simply dont have that kind of disposable income or cleary are against spending money on a cars that are worth less then some of the options given.

Rock the VOTE.

Kevin Leitem
11-12-2008, 08:59 PM
i want to go centrifugal with a sheet metal high rise intake.

CMac89
11-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Whatever it takes to make 500rwhp or more!!!

CurtisPaulfrey
11-12-2008, 09:47 PM
I voted...not to whore this thread but please show me a MPX car with 350 HP....you can PM if you want :confused:

frdlvr30
11-12-2008, 11:46 PM
I voted...not to whore this thread but please show me a MPX car with 350 HP....you can PM if you want :confused:

Post #4 in this thread has a picture of a mpx powered car with 350rwhp on home ported heads and a small cam. Its not the only one around here...Thou it is the only mustang... My vote is turbo by the way....smartest power even if not the most practical to build...

Kevin Leitem
11-12-2008, 11:53 PM

serious? you don't know of any? Mark Belush ran 11.1? pretty much full weight.dalke tuned one to 391, i assume i am near 450. i did 370 in 2005 when it ran 11.6 now running 10.4. 7 of the top 10 on the fastest sc list are m90.

jludorf
11-13-2008, 01:42 AM
Curtis my car has made 367 RWHP with an MPX the friday before the shootout. Put me down for a twin screw (AR)
John

Mikessupercoupe
11-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Whatever it takes to make 500rwhp or more!!!

You are gonna need another pink stripe to go 500.:D

Mike

CurtisPaulfrey
11-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Curtis my car has made 367 RWHP with an MPX the friday before the shootout. Put me down for a twin screw (AR)
John

serious? you don't know of any? Mark Belush ran 11.1? pretty much full weight.dalke tuned one to 391, i assume i am near 450. i did 370 in 2005 when it ran 11.6 now running 10.4. 7 of the top 10 on the fastest sc list are m90.

Post #4 in this thread has a picture of a mpx powered car with 350rwhp on home ported heads and a small cam. Its not the only one around here...Thou it is the only mustang... My vote is turbo by the way....smartest power even if not the most practical to build...

I didn't want to whore the thread but since it has gone this way.....I just feel there is something wrong with my parts combo. Dalke tune and all it did 330/385....thats not a problem with the tune thats something else & the car only went 12.2 @ 108 :confused: I guess I will find out what is going on next year when my shop gets into the engine..more cam? an Autorotor? where do I go from here?

Kevin Leitem
11-13-2008, 09:53 AM
i think 12.2 is awefully good, seen many with 100 more hp and not run those numbers. like i always say. i would much rather have a 350 hp car than runs high 11's than a 450 hp car that runs mid 12's. worry less about dyno numbers, more about timeslip numbers. that is why i refuse to go on dynoes. a dragstip will tell me much more than a dyno will

kenewagner
11-13-2008, 10:25 AM
I see that some of the votes are partial to set ups they already have. :cool:
So if you are one of those people voting, imagine that you are to do it all over again, and only have the options given.
:D

I also hope that the too broke option does not offend anyone, it is not my intention. I just wanted to see if you simply dont have that kind of disposable income or cleary are against spending money on a cars that are worth less then some of the options given.

Rock the VOTE.

I am doing it all over again (just like i have done several times in the past) with what I deem to be the best combination. I am not intrested in the turbo because Im not trying to challenge anyone at the top of the list for fastest SC. Im sure the turbo has the capacity to out do a twin screw, my opinion. Im not concerned about the money as I have a second job building car parts that pays for the modifacations, otherwise I would not be able to do it. Im not concerned with the modifacations exceeding the car worth, if I was I would have stopped a long time ago. The car is my toy, my vice, my way to spend time and have fun. If I knew 6 years ago what I know now I would have not wasted so much time and money on cheaper forms of building power and just do it right to begin with.

Ken

mywhite89
11-13-2008, 11:13 AM
If somebody made a kit for a twinscrew I would be there. If somebody made a kit for a liquid/air intercooler I would be there. If someone made a kit for a turbo setup I would have to make the decision between released air between shifts or constant whining. I voted for twin screw though.

S_Mazza
11-13-2008, 12:42 PM
If someone made a kit for a turbo setup I would have to make the decision between released air between shifts or constant whining.

What do you mean? The first part appears to refer to a blow-off valve. Where does the constant whining come from?

mywhite89
11-13-2008, 05:36 PM
What do you mean? The first part appears to refer to a blow-off valve. Where does the constant whining come from?

I mean I would have to make the decision between using a twin screw blower or a turbo. It would be a tough pick, but I would probably sacrifice the couple horsepower extra that turbos can offer and go with the whine(twin screw) for sure!

S_Mazza
11-13-2008, 07:19 PM
I mean I would have to make the decision between using a twin screw blower or a turbo. It would be a tough pick, but I would probably sacrifice the couple horsepower extra that turbos can offer and go with the whine(twin screw) for sure!

Oh, I get it. :) I thought you had your imaginary turbo plumbed wrong. I didn't know you were so noise-conscious.

From what I gather, it is possible to make the blow-off pretty quiet if you plumb it back into the intake in the proper location.

XxSlowpokexX
11-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Turbo all the way dude. Honestly the 5 speed with a turbo be much more fun then any of the above...My car cant be making all that much power and its pretty much undrivable due to the amount of power it has..SOunds sily but true. You can at least controll the boost with the turbo easily and even oversize it a bit to cut down on soem low end torque production while not sacrificing top end power..TTUURRBBOOOOOO

XxSlowpokexX
11-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Just got back from driving z ol tbird....Seriously. These car swith a 5 speed and any type of power are ridiculous. RIco go turbo...I know you wanna seriously!

XR7 Dave
11-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Just got back from driving z ol tbird....Seriously. These car swith a 5 speed and any type of power are ridiculous. RIco go turbo...I know you wanna seriously!

What rear end gears do you have?

super red91
11-14-2008, 09:49 AM
You guys definitely don't want to go turbo...please just stick with MPX blowers ;)

kws6000
11-14-2008, 04:41 PM

your car is the only car making those numbers with an mpx.

XxSlowpokexX
11-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Dave,

I still have the factory gears unless they were changed before I got the car. But they dont seem steep. And honestly I dont even know what kind of power the cars making. The car doesnt have much, Just all the typical typical bolt ons along with Kevins L's old cam. I had the 3.27 rear to install but never got there yet.

The car does however felt nowhere as fast before the cam/head/M90S swap ...On that note I can also say a new infiniti g37 has nothing on my car in a straight line even with all its spinning:O).

Normally this is the kind of power you enjoy with a street car. You feel it. The recent cooler dryer weather has made a huge difference on the power level (keep in mind I tuned it). In the end though the car just isnt handeling the power well. All new suspension minus sway bar end links. The switch from the 285's in the rear to 245's has made it completely ridiculous. My car really is though another topic. Not looking to make more power just handle what it has. I have another car in the wngs hopefully debuting next summer with the help of Mr Wagner:O)

With a turbo the power wouldnt be as much a shock to the suspension..It was my plan to go that route but money and breaking of car related items make it non affordable at this time. When you love this car as much as Rico does I'd say a turbo would be a good move for him. I have someone over by me that would do it to if he was really interested as well. I can live vicariously through others:O)

David Neibert
11-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Damon,

Don't get me wrong, because I think turbos are great. But doing a custom kit on an SC is not for the faint of heart and will require a lot of custom fabrication work. Even then there will be bugs to be worked out and that can be a very long and daunting process. It's been over 3 years and I'm still making changes to mine.

That being said I think Ricardo would be much happier with a twin screw blower kit.

David

XxSlowpokexX
11-15-2008, 04:09 PM
David,

I think hed be happier with a twin screw then what he has now as well. But I think in the long run a turbo for him would be best. Rico cant leave anything alone anyway..He may get bored with a twin screw:O) And at the end of the day I think hed get bigger numbers with the turbo once sorted out. Just my thoughts

Damon

PS Im sure if there was a twin screw kit ona shelf right now though...It be on his car

ricardoa1
11-16-2008, 03:47 AM
I was not really looking for opinions on my set up or future set ups. I was trying to build a database so vendors can see what "potential customers" want.

Ive said it before I dont think my SC will be a true sc in my book, if I turn it into a turbo car. Thats alot to swallow. Dont try to convince me. :p Twincharging would be one way of living with it. I already have a turbo car power production is completely different. PTB is a big problem with the neon, its either all in or not. With the SC PTB is not as bad and allows me to use the pedal in any position I want.

David Neibert
11-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Whats PTB ?

David

ricardoa1
11-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Part throttle boost. Causes very lean conditions and can be dangerous to the engine.

kenewagner
11-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Ricardo: I would think that the twin screw would be what venders should be geared up for. The average guy in this club has struggled since Ive been around here and Im sure before, to make the magical 300 rwhp mark with a M90. Which REQUIRES a ton of bolt ons to boot. Bolt on a twinscrew and with a stock cam and heads you could be there. There are plenty of success stories, at this time, to support the twin screw. As for turbos there arent that many success stories and a whole new problem of tuning them arises. As for the MPX, I have never owned one but to me its not logical for the AVERAGE guy to drive one 25 30 or even 40%, generating all that heat, wear and tear on parts to make HP on cars that most people use as daily drivers. Just my opinion

Ken

ricardoa1
11-17-2008, 03:29 PM
I think turbos will take the club to the next level without a doubt. But looking at the votes no alot of people dont want to spend the money on these cars anymore. Twinscrew is on top right now but some of those folks already have that set up so not sure it should be accouted for.

XxSlowpokexX
11-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Well from a vendor standpoint I would think a twinscrew or a TVS upgrade without a doubt. Easy to package a universal blower upgrade on our car with minimal investment on thier part. I dont see a vendor offering a supercoupe turbo setup ever.

I honestly never understood why a company like kenne bell couldnt be bothered with offering an upgrade. For him it would be cake to do and costs minimal. I would personally liek a turbo just because its a tad easier on my drivetrain then whats going on now

ricardoa1
11-17-2008, 05:36 PM
I dont see a vendor offering a supercoupe turbo setup ever.

Never say Never ;)

XxSlowpokexX
11-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Ill be teh first in line...Depending on cost of course!

frdlvr30
11-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Ill be teh first in line...Depending on cost of course!

Damon,
Didn't I see a post from Jim D that said someone was coming out with a turbo kit for these vehicle. Was about a year ago though. I realize the source was sketchy, but there was a link he posted about a company in the works of a turbo kit for the MN12. Or am I completely wrong...??

David Neibert
11-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Damon,
Didn't I see a post from Jim D that said someone was coming out with a turbo kit for these vehicle. Was about a year ago though. I realize the source was sketchy, but there was a link he posted about a company in the works of a turbo kit for the MN12. Or am I completely wrong...??

HP in New Mexico was supposed to be making one on Frank Bs car...but after letting his car sit for a year at their shop they decided they didn't want to do it. I think the best prospect for getting a company to build a good turbo kit is B&G Custom Turbo. The guy that owns the company (Brian) has an SC and has already ofered to build a kit. As far as I know, nobody has asked him to build one yet.

David

frdlvr30
11-18-2008, 01:39 AM
HP in New Mexico was supposed to be making one on Frank Bs car...but after letting his car sit for a year at their shop they decided they didn't want to do it. I think the best prospect for getting a company to build a good turbo kit is B&G Custom Turbo. The guy that owns the company (Brian) has an SC and has already ofered to build a kit. As far as I know, nobody has asked him to build one yet.

David

Where are they located at??

Nevermind...SE Ohio...

aplvlydrtybird
11-21-2008, 12:41 PM
I voted turbo but i am a bit impartial:)

Dont get me wrong I loved the blower, but it was a lot of money to get it to where it is now with my undersized turbo. The main reason for going turbo was because i didn't want the mpx (this was before autorotor) because it would only get me to a certain point. Also it was cheaper to make a turbo set-up than to buy a AR kit for me in the end. But not the case for many, it wasn't easy and it took 3 years, mostly money reasons. I'd still like to ride in an AR though.

plus a properly sized turbo on my car should make well over 450hp i hit 397 on my set-up and it started to loose wind just after 4k rpm. The turbo is too small, and still made that much hp...oh and the torque never went away its went to 509ft/lbs.

so imho i think that if there was a turbo kit to be offer (come on B&G) for around 4 grand it would be a great way to get guys going fast. There is no reason a kit cant be made to make 400rwhp guaranteed. with proper fuel upgrades of course etc.

also i dont know if anyone has tried Andy over at tmaturbo.com for a kit to be made, but he sells kits for v6 mustangs right now for about 4k if i remember correctly. also sells tt kits.

nwnsc
11-21-2008, 12:58 PM
i voted turbo. with the turbo you can keep the supercharger or just toss it for a new intake. when i was planing my turbo i talked to lots of people. i found i could have it made and instaled for around 4 grand or i could bulid it myself for less than $1500:D i think a turbo kit could be made as a direct bolt on and keep the AC. from what i have found the only part you need to keep the AC is custom AC hoses. i have thought about making a jig after i finsh the kit to make more but im not sure it would be worth the time to try to make and sell them.

90blkbrd
11-27-2008, 10:04 AM

Is 349.8 heat soaked during a tune close enough or 347 at the shootout?

pablon2
11-27-2008, 11:59 PM

See my sig......

Mike8675309
11-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Note that my vote comes from already owning #1 that is not yet installed...

But it seems that if you're going to spend 4k on your motor, wouldn't you prefer 450rwhp than 400rwhp? That doesn't mean option #2 wouldn't be a twin screw, it just means that it may be a Twin screw plus some other parts necessary to improve engine VE and power.

That's what went behind my vote.

ricardoa1
11-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Note that my vote comes from already owning #1 that is not yet installed...

But it seems that if you're going to spend 4k on your motor, wouldn't you prefer 450rwhp than 400rwhp? That doesn't mean option #2 wouldn't be a twin screw, it just means that it may be a Twin screw plus some other parts necessary to improve engine VE and power.

That's what went behind my vote.

I would prefer 500RWHP but that is not the point. 93octane most ARs fall between 400RWHP and maybe 450RWHP. A turbo would not have a problem getting to 450HP on pump. Same mods/fuel you would make to get to 450Rwhp all day long would put the turbo at 500+
These are all estimates anyways.

kenewagner
11-30-2008, 08:04 PM
I would prefer 500RWHP but that is not the point. 93octane most ARs fall between 400RWHP and maybe 450RWHP. A turbo would not have a problem getting to 450HP on pump. Same mods/fuel you would make to get to 450Rwhp all day long would put the turbo at 500+
These are all estimates anyways.

You seem to have be slanted toward a turbo now. I wish that the SCCoA had a form just for turbos, there are a lot of guys slanting that way. You should really post a new poll and be specific about choice. Seems like the choices for a lot of those responding were based on what they have now rather than what would be their choice if they could have anything.

Ken

ricardoa1
11-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Ken the intentions of the thread were not about me. It was to see members opinions on what they would spend their money. And to see if the demand was there for vendors to see.

kenewagner
11-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Ken the intentions of the thread were not about me. It was to see members opinions on what they would spend their money. And to see if the demand was there for vendors to see.

I know they were Ricardo but I think the poll got off your original intent and went in other directions. We know Dave is willing to do twin screws. Is there someone else thinking of doing a turbo kit? I would like to see other power adders but there are to many factions in the club to get it done right now.

Ken

XxSlowpokexX
12-02-2008, 08:38 PM
I think any new bolt in type supercharger kit that can fit under the hood and produce in excess of 400rwhp on our cars will be a seller. And the least expensive the better. Warrenty...GREAT!

I dont care if its a twin screw, an M series eaton, a tvs...Just be capable of breaking that 400rwhp mark while keeping the SC within an rpm range where it will stay in one peice for many years to come.

A turbo kit would sell as would a more race oriented blower kit needing a new hood or major changes underhood but from a vendor perspective A kit such as Daves AR or Kens m112 that can bolt in under the hood and utilize even a factory IC location..Thats the ticket to the most sales

For thr same price however give me a complete turbo kit any day

nwnsc
12-02-2008, 10:19 PM
if someone made a turbo kit. how big of a kit would be wanted? just turbo and pipeing, or every thing(injectors ,maf, oil lines, fuel pump,ect) or turbo, pipeing, oil lines, BOV(just is what is need for the turbo) this is just to give an idea what kind of kit can be marketed.

superdadsc
12-02-2008, 10:46 PM
I would think that you would at least need the basic's. Like a stage 1

If I was going to do it as a business I would do it that way, different stages so you don't lose potential clients.

A lot of the other stuff you can order and ship out when needed. Do you think SCP has a huge wharehouse?

If you need to you could set up a sub chapter S corp. Easy to do.

Go for it if you are thinking it. It may seem big but you just chop that tree down with one swing at a time.

Stephen

S_Mazza
12-03-2008, 11:13 AM
I think it would be wise to offer the fuel system and tuning as an option, but I think many people buying a turbo kit to install themselves may have fuel system upgrades already. I think having a value package of just the turbo, lines, adapters, etc. would be good.