can i just do away with abs! what do you all think?

bcr2886

I've been thinking I dont care about having abs, and it would seem that a few pounds would be lost if i just did away with it. first ? is, is this possible (would it mess with my computer other than making the brake lights stay on or does the abs computer controll this all by itself). it would seem all i would need to do is get a non abs system off another tbird (did all tbirds 89-97 have anti locks or just sc's and others beening an option. could i just get one off a mustang of a differnt year.what do you guys think.
anyone tried this. what would be the pros and cons??????

I guess you could modify the braking on the SC to use a non ABS system, but I'm not sure why you would want to. There are some reliability issues with the Teves Mark II ABS, but when you consider that a complete remanufactured hydraulic pump/acutator unit with a new accumulator will cost only around $400.00 (US) from Prior Remanufacturing (and it come with a 36 month 0r 36K mile warranty), I think you will be better off in the long run to fix what came with the car. If you do the swap, will you have to convert the rear hubs and use drums instead of rotors? I don't know (the NA birds had drums on the rear). The time to swap out a bad ABS unit is about 2-hrs (by yourself in the driveway). I think it would take longer to do the modifications and installation of the non-ABS system.

Just my thoughts..........

More info here

These guys have a pretty good handle on what would be involved.

http://pub83.ezboard.com/fthunderbirdundergroundfrm2.showMessage?topicID=368.topic
resized%20dec%2001%20low%20pro%20side.jpg

Back