Pinout on 1990 JBL amps???

wmu-sc

I just got my '90 SC driving again, and I'm trying to get the stock radio put back in, but some meathead cut the connectors off the plugs that go to the subwoofer amp and the JBL amp (on the shelf)

I got a plug to the JBL amplifier, and got it hooked back up. But there's 3 wires coming from it (I assume that go to the sub amp). One's black, one's braided, and the last one's braided and insulated. Can anyone tell me what pin number those wires go to? (Inside the connector on the sub amp you can see the numbers). Also, which side of the amp? One side has a 6-pin plug, the other has alot more.

ALSO....Can you tell me which 2 pin numbers the wires that go to the actual subwoofer connect to? Please mention which side the wires go to.

Thanks!!!

http://www.35thatr.org/Radio/RadioRelatedPages.htm

>which 2 pin numbers the wires that go to the actual subwoofer connect to? Please mention which side the wires go to.

I believe of the two black speaker wires that lead into the sub box, the one with the '-' every 3/8" of an inch is the one leading to the negative terminal on the speaker.

Are you sure the stock amps are working and worth the effort? You might have it easier if you find a donor car and pull the amps with the leads...

Last edited:
Great link, thanks for that. However, it doesn't show what pins the sub speaker connects to..do you by chance know that?

I don't know if these work at all, that's a very fair question. But since I have everything, I'll give it a shot to get them working first, before I go hacking it apart and wire up my own....

Thanks in advance!

On my '90 SC, the primary amp wiring included a small diameter, short grey 3-wire harness from the primary amplifier to the sub-woofer amplifier.

From the (6-socket) connector end that plugs into the sub's amp:

1: clear insulated silver braid
2: non-insulated silver braid
5: black insulated

Pin 1 is Audio Signal Input: -

Pin 2 is Audio Signal Input: +

Pin 5 is Mute/Standby

[Courtesy Paul Protos/TwoTimeSC when I asked the same question...]

I eventually removed the tape deck, CD player, both amps and the stock sub...installed a new flip-out DVD head unit, with a dedicated amp for a 10" sub/box in the trunk and center channel speaker in place of the CD unit. I used a Scosche wiring harness adapter at the head unit and left the stock front/rear speakers in place....so far.

Last edited:
Back