Clutch Pedal Loose

rjgraul

SCCoA Member
Clutch pedal has about 1 inch of loose free play before pressure/resistance is felt to disengage the clutch. I think bushings or something else is worn out. Any thoughts? I checked with the locale Ford dealer but as usual these parts are discontinued. Where might one find parts to rebuild the clutch & brake pedal assy. :confused:

Thanks for the help,
Ralph
94 Red SC 5 Speed

thin ice

If this is your daily driver I'd recommend sticking your head under there and checking it out. When that bushing fails, you're hating it. You can get a replacement from the 'help' section parts but it won't last very long, the ford part is much better. The real problem is that the bushing probably dissintigrated long ago and you've been wearing away at the metal post on the clutch pedal (and the linkage on the master) with each usage. The master can be replaced but the clutch pedal may require some metal fabrication to restore it's original shape. It's a real biitch getting your hands and head up there to replace that bushing too, even with the seat out. After you've replaced it a few times it can be done by feel alone. My most recent bushing is about to go again, I keep spares in the console.

good luck
MB

i have no clue what you guys are talking about but you may want to bleed it first to make sure it doesn't have any air in the line.

If this is your daily driver I'd recommend sticking your head under there and checking it out. When that bushing fails, you're hating it. You can get a replacement from the 'help' section parts but it won't last very long, the ford part is much better. The real problem is that the bushing probably dissintigrated long ago and you've been wearing away at the metal post on the clutch pedal (and the linkage on the master) with each usage. The master can be replaced but the clutch pedal may require some metal fabrication to restore it's original shape. It's a real biitch getting your hands and head up there to replace that bushing too, even with the seat out. After you've replaced it a few times it can be done by feel alone. My most recent bushing is about to go again, I keep spares in the console.

good luck
MB

Bob,

A few years ago I made about 40 pcs of a bolt-in replacement ball (designed by George Davenport) for repairing the SC/XR7 clutch pedal. I believe that George still has most of them in his possesion.

David

right on

I'll get in touch with him. It's been a thorn in my side for a while now.
Thanks for the heads up, and for fabbing up some parts!

Cheers
Bob

just had this happen to me last week, the ball joint for the clip to hold the clutch arm on the pedal is half gone. my resolve was massively getto but still working, i just used some wire zip-teis to hold it on the bushing. like i said massive getto but will work till i can get a replacement.

Just bumping this to the top...had this happen a few weeks ago Lost the pedal...then it was back fine for 2 weeks. Yesterday it fully let go leaving me broken down in traffic (for I didn't realize this was the problem, until reading on the forums)

Found in other threads the factory replacement part # is E7SZ 7A581 A ... and has since been replaced with 6C3Z-7A581-A ...seems this part is still being used in newer Fords.

Image: https://www.google.com/search?q=for...hUKEwiUooD1teHJAhXCKGMKHYplDCAQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1

For those who have had this issue before me, is this what you used to fix the issue to OE specs. I saw the info and blueprints on the replacement piece Dave N. made years ago (which were lost)...just curious if there is better solution for this repair.

Thanks!

-Tim

I've had to do this in multiple cars through the years. The key is replacing the plastic bushing/clip as soon as you have the first issues. It appears as though the clip starts failing and deforming...but it will allow you to put back in place and it will still hold for a while until it finally it disintegrates all the way...but by then the misalignment will wear out the pivot ball.

Bob,

A few years ago I made about 40 pcs of a bolt-in replacement ball (designed by George Davenport) for repairing the SC/XR7 clutch pedal. I believe that George still has most of them in his possesion.

David

Is this a replacement for the ball in the pedal? or a replacement for the black plastic bushing?

Bob,

David

I wonder if he still has some left 7 years later ;)

Any contact info ?

Last night I purchased the Dorman version of the part - Part # 74014...was 6.99 at my local Advance Auto (stocked item here).

Outside of the horrible placement to replace the part, it wasn't that hard of a fix.

Guess we shall see how it holds up...OE part made it 223K on this '89 SC so I suppose it was well overdue ;)

-Tim

Back