Running a/c pump unplugged

Dahoopd

Just wondering if i can run it without the lines hooked up and how long. I bought a cheap a/c delete pulley and I think its the reason for the squeal under the hood. I would like to bolt up the a/c pump and see if that gets rid of the noise. I would have to run it like that (not that often) until I change the way its ran.

Thanks for the help.

I think running it w/o any lines would kill it. The freon, or 134a whatever they call it now, has the lubricant in it. With it empty its not going to get the lubrication it needs

The A/C compressor pulley is free running. If you install the compressor w/o hooking it up... it'll just sit there. :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks, I kind of figured that since it has a clutch but I didn't want to take it out and have it eat the belt away from home.

I ran mine like that for a year instead of cutting the fan wire on the ircm. I left it unplugged and had the ac turned on in the car so the rad fan would run all the time.

>Just wondering if i can run it without the lines hooked up and how long.

If you disconnect the lines, be sure to cap/seal/close up any ports/line openings - if they are left open, the system will ingest moisture from the atmosphere and bork the dryer, at least.

>Just wondering if i can run it without the lines hooked up and how long.

If you disconnect the lines, be sure to cap/seal/close up any ports/line openings - if they are left open, the system will ingest moisture from the atmosphere and bork the dryer, at least.

KMT,

I have the entire system removed. I just need the pump to find the obnoxious squeal at high boost. I think its the cheap a/c delete pulley. Thanks for the advise, the pump is in excellent shape. I only held onto it in case someone needs one.

>I have the entire system removed.

Removed or in place, still be sure to plug all the lines/ports to keep any moisture out - good luck with tracking down the squeal.

Back