The clutch????

mrcouper

i hope someone knows this.first time the car left me at the side of the road.
I turned right and was going into second gear, as i let the clutch out a terrible rumbling and shaking began, pulled over shut it off, looked for signs of anything and nothing. started it again and it rumbled like crap. got towed :(, now the car wont start at all, wont turn over, the sound is from the bottom of motor at the back with the tranny. could my clutch have blown apart and gotten pieces in the starting gear(wheel).i hope so, but if someone can respond with there opinion before i remove the tranny, i would greatly appreciate it

If the driveline is intact and there is nothing external on the engine, such as tossed crank pulley or rod thru the block/pan, then time to consider pulling starter first, then trans/clutch I suppose...

You could always try to drain the trans fluid to look for debris.

Last edited:
Wow! That just doesnt compute. Why would you drain the lube out of a five speed to look for debris? It is highly unlikely that a cluster gear gave up the ghost under normal driving conditions. Possibilities include a harmonic balancer failure, the clutch, (how does the pedal feel? Has it changed?). Maybe an internal engine failure, but without a break in the pan or the block, its only a remote possibility. What kind of noises do you hear when you try to start it?

no signs anywhere

thanks for replies, i replaced the starter with another one to see and the same prob still, so thats not it. there are no signs anywhere the moment it happened or now . no fluid, no missing or poked out parts, it didnt smoke at all. nothin?!its mental,the sound it made is hard to describe, but i suppose to relate it the easiest way is as if your running outa gas and you keep pumping the pedal, as it begins to stall ,the rumble and shaking is what its like but 10 times more intensity. when i try to start it the motor doesnt even turn, it sound like the wheel (starting gear on motor) is stuck.i hope its the clutch cause id hate to see a 35th go down like this espesciall with a 3 year old motor!!

thanks for replies, i replaced the starter with another one to see and the same prob still, so thats not it. there are no signs anywhere the moment it happened or now . no fluid, no missing or poked out parts, it didnt smoke at all. nothin?!its mental,the sound it made is hard to describe, but i suppose to relate it the easiest way is as if your running outa gas and you keep pumping the pedal, as it begins to stall ,the rumble and shaking is what its like but 10 times more intensity. when i try to start it the motor doesnt even turn, it sound like the wheel (starting gear on motor) is stuck.i hope its the clutch cause id hate to see a 35th go down like this espesciall with a 3 year old motor!!

Sounds like it broke a connecting rod. Usually when that happens parts fall out the bottom but not always.

Back