Rear end problems. Anyone have these symptoms?

ricardoa1

Well let me explain. My limited slip has been going for a while. I get no traction at the track and I am unable to get the car sideways like I used to. At times I end up burning up the inside tire. I figure the clutches are worn off.

But heres a problem that created some fear of immediate repair. I have a very steep driveway and I have to enter sideways all the time, makes the car articulate and lift one of the wheels of the ground all the time. After I get in on flat pavement it seems that one side hangs up and creates hop on that side. Its not until I get going forward for a while that it stops this. If almost feels like one half shaft is broken.
I thought it might have been a control arm bushing or loose bolt an nut. Or spindle bushing, or even a wheel bearing. But I just came from the garage and it it all looks visually great. Bolts are tight and wheels are tight on the hub. Even the half shafts look ok.

It now has started to do this without my driveway. It does it when I reverse the car with the wheels lock to the right or left. And go forward in an agressive manner..

The weather has been 25 degrees I never driven the car in this cold since Um 2002. :rolleyes:

Anyone felt what I am talking about? I know I need the rearend rebuilt but I want to make sure that its not something else and I also need more time since I need to save up for the Eaton Detroit true-trac and nifty rear cover.
Thats a $600 dollar investment and I still need to have some one put the diff in the case.

Last edited:
wheel hop....???

Does the car clunk several times very hard when going around corners? and, are you sure that's not the wheel hop you're referring to?:confused:

Definetly sounds differental related. Save your money. Rebuild the trac-loc for under a hundred bucks. Ok, Two hundred if you replace the Pinion and carrier bearings and races at the same time...It will function just as well when rebuilt. And it takes about an hour.....I have had the aftermarket diff's. Other than them being noisy I see little difference.

Last edited:
Does the car clunk several times very hard when going around corners? and, are you sure that's not the wheel hop you're referring to?:confused:

It causes one side of the car to wheel hop. But its more then wheel hop, it feels like something hangs up and lets loose over and over again.

Definetly sounds differental related. Save your money. Rebuild the trac-loc for under a hundred bucks. Ok, Two hundred if you replace the Pinion and carrier bearings and races at the same time...It will function just as well when rebuilt. And it takes about an hour.....I have had the aftermarket diff's. Other than them being noisy I see little difference.

I really want to try out a worm gear differential.

I'm having trouble with mine right now. Mine seems to have a hang up in reverse. When I'm backing up it almost seems that the emergency brake is hanging up. Also the posi isn't working all the time now. It's sometime posi.
I think thats why I'm stuck at 12.3

Mike:D

Ricardo,

I've rebuilt at least 5 or so rear ends and I might even have a clutch rebuild kit kicking around. I think they are only like $55 anyways. I rebuilt my other rear end for under $100 and that included all the races, bearings and seals. If you feel like tackling it yourself, let me know. I have a press and all the set-up tools.

I'm having trouble with mine right now. Mine seems to have a hang up in reverse. When I'm backing up it almost seems that the emergency brake is hanging up. Also the posi isn't working all the time now. It's sometime posi.
I think thats why I'm stuck at 12.3

Mike:D

Sounds like we have similar issues.

Ricardo,

I've rebuilt at least 5 or so rear ends and I might even have a clutch rebuild kit kicking around. I think they are only like $55 anyways. I rebuilt my other rear end for under $100 and that included all the races, bearings and seals. If you feel like tackling it yourself, let me know. I have a press and all the set-up tools.

Ill keep that in mind.

Few years ago I had a similar problem with my sc. I pulled the cover and found that the cross pin bolt broke. The cross pin was just floating around and sliding out and catching the pinion gear.. just my .02

good luck

Back