Odometer gears repaired....now speedometer problem

kendall221

About 6 weeks ago, I bought the Odometer rebuild kit (gears) from Supercoupe Performance.com due to odometer quit working at 178,000 miles on my '95 SC. I finally got around to taking the cluster out and putting in the new gears. I put everything back together, and the odometer appears to be working, but now there's a problem with the speedometer. (The smaller gear had 4 teeth broken off). Speedometer was working fine previously. I followed the instructions, and marked the zero point before removing it. Now, it's reading at least 20 - 25 mph low (maybe more). I removed the speedometer again and the needle moves fine without any binding that I can notice by just moving it with my finger.

Any ideas?

David
'95 SC

I don't think you put the needle back on correctly. It can be a little tricky. Take the needle off, and put it back on. I'm guessing you missed your spot. The needle probally doesn't even move when going 5mph, right?

OK...I figured it out. When I took the speedometer needle off, the black center button popped off of the needle. When I put everything back together to see if it worked, I didn't put the button back on so I could see to adjust the needle if I needed to. Apparently, the needle is balanced with the button. Everything works fine once I put the button back on.

David

Back