Replacing the Teves ABS Unit

Katoom

Can anyone give me instructions, tips or special tools needed on how to remove and replace the Teves ABS unit on a 91 S/C.

I'm trying to remove one from a parts car, and it's a good working unit. I have scoffed the accumulator from it already, but I was sure to put the old one back on it as not to allow moisture into the unit.
The system has no pressure stored in it at the present time.
Where are the mounting bolts located, what lines do I need to disconnect, what other items do I need to remove to get this unit out without damaging it in any way.
Any tips would be appreciated!

Ummm.. as far as tips, use a flare nut wrench to loosen the fittings, and essentially everything else is fairly straightforward. Crawl under the dash and take the 4 nut/studs going through the firewall out to remove the whole thing. 2 of them are way up there and hard to reach, so plan on spending some time as a pretzel.

Yea, just get under the dash, unhook the pedal sensor and remove the 4 bolts which hold the unit to the firewall. Make sure you unhook the pedal too.

Under the hood, take off the 3 brake lines with a line wrench and remove the electrical harnesses. The pull up and out. It's easier if you remove the cowl and the reservior(you can pop it back on laster).

Thanks guys. Sounds pretty easy. I'm used to being a pretzel. If anyone has ever changed the "self-adjusting" clutch gear mechanisms under the dash of an 80's Ford Mustang, (like me) they will quickly learn what it means to be a "contortionist" <---I think I spelled that right.

Here is something that will save some ageavation. After the unit is out there is a plate that is flopping loose on the inside that can make putting the unit back in harder than it should be. The object is to line the plate up and hold it in place while U install the unit.
Get 2 5/16" bolts and nuts a #10X1" sheet metal screw, and a 1/8" drill.
After U get the unit out put the bolts in one in the upper bolt hole and the other one in the lower oposite hole. Tighten them up then drill a hole and put the screw in to hold the plate. Remove the bolts and have at it.
If U have a helper u may not need this trick U can have him/her help line up the plate and hold it while U install the unit.

I just started this project myself today. I got the old unit out...with a hand-ache from getting the top left hand nut out from under the dash. 30 minutes it took me to get the 1 nut off!. It took about 1.5 hours to get the old unit out.

As for that metal mounting bracket flopping around under the dash while trying to re-install the new unit, I positioned it and then grabbed a snow brush and wedged it up against it using the power seat as an adjustment.

The other problem you will run into is.....GETTING THE DAMNED THING BACK IN! Have fun trying to plug the pressure sensor harness back in. I couldn't do it, so I gave up for the day. I'll be back at it tomorrow morning for sure though. I'll post how it went if/when I get it back in successfully.

When I did my swap, I just kept reminding myself of all the money I was saving.....The unit cost about $400.00 and took 2-hrs to install (by myself in the driveway). Now, compare that to the dealership (I figure around $1200.00 for the unit and another $600.00 for labor), I must have saved $1400.00 !!! And, it really isn't any worse than changing plugs and wires on one of these birds..............

I just finished mine. Works great, just take the time to pay attention to detail. Don't forget anything because some of the stuff that can be forgotten is buried underneath the unit.

Back