What do I need?

gjgI

I bought a '90 SC about 5 months ago and started to build it. I installed a bigger SC case and inlet plenum, an 85mm T.B., a 76mm MAF, a 3 1/2" col air intake, #42 injectors, 255LPH fuel pump, %10 OD jackshaft/sc pulley, mid-length headers, 2 1/2" exhaust, shift kit, 2800 RPM stahl converter, and plugs/wires. I finished everything last night and drove for about 15 minutes before the head gasket blew!!! The car only has 65,000 miles on it si I'm thinking the reason for the head gasket was the add-ons. What I need is ideas on what I can do to the car whaen I replace the head gasket that will ensure that I don't blow the new one! Any preventative measures I take would be a huge help I'm sure; I'm just not sure what would work best, so please let me know!!!:(

Tune of course, I am not sure but I didn't see a DIC or FMIC. With 10% OD that blower is putting out a lot of heat.

You will need MLS Gaskets
ARP head bolts

While you have it apart get the heads checked, valve job and mild port will do wonders!

Do a search on blown hg's and you will find all you need.

Stephen

mls is not a must. If you decide to go that way, make sure the head/block surface is perfect, asap, as smooth as possible:p or they might not seal well.

well head gaskets dont blow all atonce its been happenig ,

pinging is a major culprit it eats away at the metal ring at cyl opening on gaskets once it blows a hole its a matter of time till gasket goes.

put new gaskets new head bolts ARP is best if water in oil its a coin toss most times its ok but if sufficient water entered the cyl then hydrostatic lock up may have accured and this could smash rod bearings and bend rods crack pistons, not to scare you but ive found all in different sc,s ive owned.

oh yeah tune it!!!!!

Im thinking a tune most definitely...And is your MAf and injectors calibrated for one another?

I run around with standard blue felpro gaskets and ARP head studs for a 2.8 chevy...Not an issue tuis far and I tuned my car myself (scary scary scary)

WHile your at it though a cam and some head work would really wake up your car...I mean really wake it up

Back