tranny question

Mont

my 90 SC trans (5 speed) has a very quite whine. Im thinking about doing a fluid change maybe to quite it down a little. What should I use, the trans has 90,000 miles. I have always used Royal Purple in my other cars but not sure in this one. Thanks

Not sure if it will take care of the whine but I suggest using GM syncromesh fluid. Royal Purple, Redline, and Penzoil sells it.

the t-5 uses mercon5 tranny fluid. dont ask my why but thats what it uses. changed out my fluid about 6 months ago when i had to change out the slave cylinder. most of it leaked out so i just did a fluid swap. thats been about 3k miles ago now

5spd=M5R2
Use the syncromesh. It is all I will run in them anymore. Most parts stores have the pennzoil for less than $7 a quart.
Alan

5spd=M5R2
Use the syncromesh. It is all I will run in them anymore. Most parts stores have the pennzoil for less than $7 a quart.
Alan

mercon5 is the only fluid approved by ford motor company, others might be fine if you check to make sure they have same properties, but i wouldnt run anything but the approved fluids imo.

mercon5 is the only fluid approved by ford motor company, others might be fine if you check to make sure they have same properties, but i wouldnt run anything but the approved fluids imo.

Mercron 5 is designed for automatic transmissions not manuals.

The synchromesh fluid that GM and Chrysler uses performs much better and maintains its vicosity better than than auto trans fluid does which helps protect better.

The synchromesh fluid that GM and Chrysler uses performs much better and maintains its vicosity better than than auto trans fluid does which helps protect better.

Hock please do some research. When the ford t-5 first come out, the factory spec fluid was mercon dexron 3. Since then mercon5 has come out with better friction modifiers. If you dont believe me call your local ford dealership or transmission shop. I know it says on the bottle (for automatic transmission) but its the right stuff for this transmission. TRUST ME i know what im talking about here, and no im not saying you cant use other stuff. Im just saying this is the recommended fluid.

Here are some other fluids that could be used:
Pennzoil® Synchromesh Fluid

Pennzoil® Synchromesh Fluid is a synchromesh transmission fluid designed for certain manual transaxles and manual transmissions used by General Motors or Chrysler. Pennzoil® Synchromesh Fluid is formulated with high quality paraffinic base stocks, a fluidity modifier, multifunctional performance additives, corrosion inhibitors, a foam suppressor and a shear stable viscosity index improver additive. It provides excellent oxidation stability, low temperature performance, excellent synchronizer performance and compatibility with yellow metals, such as bronze, brass and copper components found in manual transaxles and transmissions. This product will satisfactorily lubricate General Motors or Chrysler manual transaxles and transmissions from -40°C to +150°C.

Benefits:

* Exhibits excellent low temperature performance
* Meets GM Specification 9985648 and Chrylser Specification MS-9224
* Suitable for use in GM manual transaxles and transmissions requiring GM Part No. 12345349 or 12345577
* Suitable for use in Chrylser transaxles and transmissions requiring Part No. 4874464
* Excellent synchronizer performance
* Excellent yellow metal compatibility

Redline D4 ATF (T-5 Trans Fluid)
Our most popular and versatile ATF, D4 is suitable for use where Dexron III, Dexron II, or Mercon fluids are recommended. D4 ATF is a fully-synthetic product designed to satisfy the improved low-temperature requirements which will be in the new Dexron IV specification, and the improved shear-stability requirements which will be part of the new Mercon specifications.
D4 ATF also provides a GL-4 level of gear protection, making it a superior product for transmissions and transaxles like the Corvette's T-56. The balanced frictional characteristics provide smooth and consistent shifts for extended drain intervals. The superior stability compared to petroleum ATFs allows high-temperature operation without varnishing valves and clutches which leads to transmission failure. It’s stability allows high-temperature operation without varnishing valves and clutches. Also provides improved shifting in cold weather. t-5 trans fluid

Last edited:

The post that said they recommend Merc5 trans fluid is correct. My 96 F-250 HD, which has a much heavier duty 5spd trans than the SC, also uses Merc5 and so does the transfercase.

That is why ford gets to do the rebuilds every 100k. ATF is crap in these transmissions. I have 230,000 on mine and it has been running syncromesh since 15,000. At 15k the atf was dark and nasty. The syncromesh still looks good when I change it at 50k. Mine is a Ranger truck but it is the same transmission. I'm certain my ranger has been abused worse than any SC ever will be. Oh and when these transmission were built there was no merconV. MerconIII was all they had. MerconV was made in 96 and you don't have a 96 Supercoupe. Don't run a thick fluid or the front bearing will not lube. The syncromesh is fully synthetic,but not very thick. It is also a Specific fluid for manual transmissions. GM uses it in the world class T5 and Muncie transmissions that have a graphite lining. The fluid is friction modified you do not need to add anything to it.
Alan

Back