Long tube header help

Nate_V6

im dropping a supercoupe motor into a 97 v6 mustang. now i can buy LTs for the 97 v6 stng for a great deal, but will they fit the supercoupe motor just the same? i know they are both 232ci but i thought i would check.

Header bolt pattern is the same. I think the splitport heads also use the standard exhaust pattern.

.....talk to Roadhawg,on the Hampton Roads SC forum, he's done this swap,he can answer all your questions...
z

ok so they fit. im just wondering if the gains will be worth getting. anyone seen any gains with their supercoupe and LTs?

ok so they fit. im just wondering if the gains will be worth getting. anyone seen any gains with their supercoupe and LTs?

The Long tubes are better then your stock Mustang shorty headers, but with LTs fear the speed bumps...........

I have LT's on my supercouped mustang, and they fit ok. No issues with speedbumps even with a 1.5" drop. You will need to unbolt your engine mounts, and pick it up a bit to get them to slide in. I had to hammer on my firewall a lil bit for clearance also. Before the hammering, they would rattle against the floor when at stop signs. It is also a real tight fit up against the starter. As far as gains go, they are alot of money for what I saw out of them. I would say is was maybe 5hp on the dyno. I can't pin down an exact number beacause I did a few other mods between runs. With the long tubes, full 2.5 exhaust with X pipe and no cats, as well as a raised SC top, I gained 11hp over the old setup. For the amount of work, I think midlength are a good compromise.

hmmm the stock super coupe headers have a 1.7" collector and the stock mustang have an even worse 1.5" collector. krooks has a midlength header which has a 2.5" collector. that is what im looking i believe but they are 514 bucks without the "jet hot coating" but dave, you said the midlengths install no problem? so id assume they install no problem on the mustang? hopefully easier then the LTs.

94mustangSC, do those shorties have a larger collector size? they dont really specify.

Last edited:
you can get a set of the stang longtubes for like $250 and they have a 3" collector, with a ball flange, which makes it around 2.5" at the smallest point.

Thats what I used on my SC, but if you got a stang it'll be a piece of cake.

It's definitely no piece of cake getting them in there. I believe the collector is 3". I put my car in storage last weekend, so I can't tell you for sure. Check out some of the V6 Mustang websites for good advice on which headers to buy. The SC engine and the stock 3.8 Mustang are identical as far as header fitment goes. Even the SC dipstick will still fit. I wouldn't spend the extra money for Kooks headers, unless they come with a big sticker to put on the back window. They seem to be a waste of money, unless you have a situation where no other options will fit. Fortunately for you, there are lots of options. When you buy your headers, make sure to get the best header gasket you can find. Also, pick up some locking fasteners for them. Mine would back out every 100 miles, and the exhaust would start leaking. Summit has Stage 8 Locking fasteners for around 80 bucks if I remember. Then, if you still have money in your wallet, spring for the ceramic coating.

well i can get mac long tubes for my mustang year for 240 bucks and thats the ceramic coating, but i have no idea what header gaskets are the best, but i will go to summit though for sure for the lockables.

well i can get mac long tubes for my mustang year for 240 bucks and thats the ceramic coating, but i have no idea what header gaskets are the best, but i will go to summit though for sure for the lockables.

Just so you know, that "coating" is not ceramic. It's just a heat paint, and will flake and peel off. But as for the gaskets, go with Felpro '98 Mustang gaskets. They are copper not paper and are reuseable. I have a set with mine and some stage 8 bolts from a v6 ranger i think was the application. Work great, no leaks in a few years.

I can get the headers in and out in about 45min. The best way is to get at one or two bolts from the top, and the rest from the bottom. The headers will install best from the bottom. You might have to push the steering column back into the firewall and reconnect it once you bolt up the headers.

This was all for when I put a set into my SC, but I'd expect a similar install. If you plan to use cats you may or may not have a problem with finding room for them. On the SC, mine end up about 6" in front of the cross member, and cats won't fit. Not sure how it is on the stang. My ground clearance was even with the frame rails and don't hang down at all. Again, mine were custom, so I'm not sure how the out of the box set will bolt up.

im getting a complete custom exhaust to fit and going with a 3" exhaust, so the cats should fit

I was just refering to the fact that they will be too far downstream to be effective, and will end up at the tranny crossmember causing clearance issues

Back