OD gone!!

daverett

I am sure this has been talked about before. I have a 90 sc auto, my od is gone can I adjust the tv to fix it? By the way how do you do it, anyone have pics, I don't want to fuggg it up more.
thanks

If all other gears shift fine, don't mess with the TV cable - your OD clutch is probably gone like the wind. If you have to drive the car, just put the shifter in drive - not OVERDRIVE, but I would think that the best thing to do is just stop driving it until it can be repaired, since there will be little pieces of the clutch floating around in the oil. One thing you can check real quick is where the TV cable attaches to the throttle body linkage - make sure that is all snug and intact. If it's not, definitely get that fixed!

OD is actually a band. I believe when it starts dropping out, its due to leak down from the servo, and that is from one or more worn seal(s) paired with worn clutches. To fix it, you need to rebuild the tranny. But, you can probably keep driving it until some other gear goes out. :eek:

Typically, on the SC's, the band burns up due to WOT runs in over drive. TV cable adjustment shouldn't be touched except unless you know exactly what you're doing. Doing it wrong can lead to other significant damage.

You can drive around with it just in drive (not od) without much problems other than lots of fuel use due to higher rpm's when cruising down the highway. The only true fix is to rebuild the transmission, or at a minimum, replace the overdrive band and other parts that are obviously worn.

Back