PDA

View Full Version : GM going forward

KMT
12-02-2008, 05:54 PM
GM reportedly to focus on:

Chevrolet, GMC, Buick and Cadillac

Looks like:

GM Daewoo, Holden, Hummer, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Vauxhall and Wuling

...will be cut loose in one form or another.

XxSlowpokexX
12-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Pontiac..oh hhh nnoooooooo.....Without Holden...They have no cool cars to base their new cars off of!

patragz22
12-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I just got laid off from a Pontiac dealer, they closed their doors after 52 years. I was the auto painter in the body shop. Elite Ford is closing also, don't look good for a long time.

Seuss
12-02-2008, 11:56 PM
I suspect GM will be seeing Chapter 11 bankruptcy soon and a new labor contract to pull out of it.

frdlvr30
12-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Removed....Sorry Duffy. You are right....

Duffy Floyd
12-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Lets keep this auto related as opposed to descending into political issues huh?

Remember.......posts not in conformance with the posting rules may be edited or deleted.

Dangle
12-03-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't think it's a real big loss losing Pontiac, Saab and Saturn. Never liked anything from them (some very cool Pontiac muscle cars back in the day...true) but, with the eception of Saab, until more recently, they were all just re-badged chev's. Having a cheap set of wheels like a cavalier was one thing, having another one called a sunfire? Same goes for Ford. ...was there ever a need for a Tempo AND a Topaz!?

It's rough for the men and women who will unboubtedly loose jobs in the upcoming months/years but The 'Big Three' need some sort of bailout or else their done. All are in debt, GM is operating with a 43 billion dollar deficet! All the pensions need to be payed to the men and women of the past, as well as paying a decent wage to workers right now. The manufactures over seas don't have the same pension payout, nor the present day wages to deal with.

The Big three still continue to make quality products (now more then ever) and are very competitive with the Toyota and Honda's of the world.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reported: "Ford Motor Co. offers the most vehicles in America with top safety ratings,
Ford had more winners than any other automaker -- 16 in all. Honda Motor Co. was second, with 13 winners. General Motors Corp. and Toyota Motor Corp. tied with eight each".

I say trim the fat and help these guys produce good cars here for years to come.

seawalkersee
12-03-2008, 10:22 PM
They had an interview on Good Morning America today with the spokesman from GM. I wanted to slap the crap out of the guy for some of the questions he asked. I can't stand watching that show but momma watches it.

SWS

nickleman60
12-03-2008, 10:37 PM
I believe the UAW unions and workers have priced themselves right out of a job, not to mention the mismanagement of the multi millionaire CEO's. The part I really hate is the ones who spent their lifetime working for these companies could lose all of their pension and retirement benefits.

mywhite89
12-04-2008, 10:43 AM
I believe the UAW unions and workers have priced themselves right out of a job, not to mention the mismanagement of the multi millionaire CEO's. The part I really hate is the ones who spent their lifetime working for these companies could lose all of their pension and retirement benefits.

Lets hope those retirees from these companies werent arrogant enough to depend on a pension from their company in order to live the rest of their lives. It's sad to say that most of them probably did though. In this world you have to find a way to be able to save your money so you have something to retire on. Pensions are great, but should be used as extra money that you can't expect to rely 100% on.

We'll see what happens with Pontiac and the others. It's crazy, pontiac used to be a very high seller. Lately they are very very low. Used to see grand prixs and grand ams everywhere. I work at a chevrolet dealership, and chevy's are outselling every other gm car by far right now in my region. Pontiacs are rediculously low in sales.

I am saving all my penny's right now, thats for sure.
Chris

kenewagner
12-04-2008, 12:50 PM
I am saving all my penny's right now, thats for sure.
Chris

Better sell the SC than. It takes a lot of pennys to own one:D

Ken

seawalkersee
12-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Well...the unions are partly to blame. How you can keep some doper/drunk employed who continues to produce sub-par work and continues to get fired for it. Then...the union gets him his job back. Now, I also believe the government needs to stop the free trade (incoming trade that is) from outside countries. Its time to put what is important first. This country. Make a plan and dont worry about pissing off half of the people. Do what is best for the country.

SWS

KMT
12-04-2008, 04:33 PM
>the government needs to stop the free trade (incoming trade that is) from outside countries.

Govts. attending the recent G20, including the USA, agreed to not pursue 'reactionary restrictions' (protectionism) on imports due to current world market issues, over the next two years. Russia & India took three days to go back on such promises.

The last time the US formally tried this, world trade fell 42% and the dollar fell 60%. Protectionism=nationalism and no longer applies in a modern global economy.

kenewagner
12-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Well...the unions are partly to blame. How you can keep some doper/drunk employed who continues to produce sub-par work and continues to get fired for it. Then...the union gets him his job back. Now, I also believe the government needs to stop the free trade (incoming trade that is) from outside countries. Its time to put what is important first. This country. Make a plan and dont worry about pissing off half of the people. Do what is best for the country.

SWS

I agree mostly with Chris. I worked at the railroad in a union and watched people do nothing and make the same as what I did. I saw people fired for drinking and back to work in a week. Take some of the manufacturers of high dollar sport shoes. Make them overseas and pay a almost nothing in wages and material and ship them back here and charge 150 to 200 bucks. Those are the things that need to be taxed coming back into the country. We are no longer a manufacturing country only a consumer country with only a service industry. Japan and other countries limit import of our goods like cars into their country so there is no fair free trade. Someone needs to be looking after the good old US and quite selling it down the road

Ken

Ken

Micahdogg
12-04-2008, 04:50 PM
I hear you Ken, but today at lunch I bought a surge protector for a new TV I recently got. I checked all the labels looking for one that wasn't made in china. They didn't have one, so I just grabbed one. It kind of sucks when you don't have options.

XxSlowpokexX
12-04-2008, 04:58 PM
No options at a Wallmart or typical audio/video stores..Yopu need to at least go to a high end store to find anything made in America..Very sad

I;m waiting till you all saw the big threes pleas to the senate today for a bailout.

They all drove to washington in hybrid cars instead of private jets....They all also said that is they got teh bailout loan money requested the big threes board of directors would take only 1$ salary....lets see where this goes

KMT
12-04-2008, 05:14 PM
>Japan and other countries limit import of our goods like cars into their country so there is no fair free trade.

And the Japanese 350Z owner pays a hefty premium so that the American 350Z owner can get the car for less than what it cost to build.

Building goods here means having the factories here as well. When an LCD TV comes in, the pollution to build it stays overseas. Be careful what you wish for...cutting imports can mean cutting your own throat.

ben m
12-04-2008, 08:05 PM
They all drove to washington in hybrid cars instead of private jets....They all also said that is they got teh bailout loan money requested the big threes board of directors would take only 1$ salary....lets see where this goes

is this for real? i remember al gore's conference on global warming on some island, and they didnt have enough room at the airport for all of the private jets, whoose carbon footprint is freakishly large compared to comercial travel