PDA

View Full Version : How long should it take to get to normal operating temp?

toronto_1990sc
12-02-2008, 11:19 PM
just took my 90 sc for a spin (so nice!)...it's been in a cold garage (almost freezing really).

only after 20 min of driving did the coolant temp guage finally make it up into the lowest part of "normal". (heater was working ok after 5-10min)

should it take this long to warm up? or is something buggered?

Young-SC-Owner
12-03-2008, 12:08 AM
normal i say

KMT
12-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Yep, sounds about right.

An easy 'service' tip if you are unsure about gauge action is to confirm that the push-on connector at the coolant temperature sender for the gauge is clean (same for the terminal) and grips firmly - squeeze it down in width a bit if needed. You're looking for the sender nearest the thermostat housing.

thunderkid84
12-03-2008, 11:15 AM
An easy 'service' tip if you are unsure about gauge action is to confirm that the push-on connector at the coolant temperature sender for the gauge is clean (same for the terminal) and grips firmly - squeeze it down in width a bit if needed. You're looking for the sender nearest the thermostat housing.

pull it out and look at it too. if its all gunked up its not gonna get a good reading.

toronto_1990sc
12-03-2008, 12:09 PM
will do thanks!

slowpoke
12-03-2008, 01:23 PM
takes my sc forever to warm up in the winter, i took a sheet of stainless steel and placed it over half the rad for winter driving, this will be its 2nd winter. other then that the sc just doesnt like to warm up. its a small engine with a big cooling system. just so its warm in the am i got a space heat built for child safety set to a timer so it turns on 30min before i need the car in the am. other then that good luck :)

TbirdSCFan
12-03-2008, 01:34 PM
My black and red cars will warm up within 5 minutes. My white car... takes about 15 :rolleyes: I have not been able to determine why. I have replaced thermostats, swapped ECT's, swapped EECs, swapped temp guage senders, radiators, flushed heater cores, and burped the coolant many times... and have not figured it out yet. :confused:

Rpdboss
12-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Of course i have a ower rad hose heater element;). Since I have a custom 3 piece lower rad hose that goes from pump around the belt, behind lower part of IC and then forward to the drivers side of the IC where my huge rad oulet is. The heater element is a few inches before the pump inlet so the warm water can easily rise into the block rather than go downward and back up into the rad. Set to an outside "UL" rated timer about an HR before i have to go to work. Saves on fuel as the car runs less of the cold start stradigy.