PDA

View Full Version : whats good size wheel/tire combo to replace stock?

toronto_1990sc
12-03-2008, 12:27 PM
love my SC..but looking at it (100% stock everything) the wheels and tires are pretty dated...(225/60/16 tires...kinda fat)...i'd like something more modern with a lower aspect ratio.

what specs do i need to know when considering an upgrade?

what are good wheel/tire combos (looking for sizes, not brands) that will fit right on a stock car?

thanks

Evan_90SC
12-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Use a tire size calculator...

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

You need to get tires that match up as close to the 225/60/16 as possible so that you don't mess up the mileage and get the spedo off. So with the calculator you can see what tires would be best if you want to go up rim sizes. My rims are 19 inch, and my tires are 245/19/40. They are almost exactly stock size, so they make almost the same revolutions per mile... 0.333% too slow ;) ... With the calculator you can mess around with it, imputing different numbers and trying to get as close to stock as you can.

If you are wanting to stay with 16 inch rims, then stick with the 225/60/16s, because any thinner tire will look kinda dumb... they are thick to fill up the wheelwells.

slowpoke
12-03-2008, 01:16 PM
still using stocks rims here i lovem, using bridgestone g-009 tires. thats about only tire i found that hooks up. if you get them the new version is g-019. for the most part still the same tire. i beleive ifyou get other rim sizes the g-019 should have matching tires sizes. just tell the tire guy you want the tires to match 225/60/?

Dirtyd0g
12-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Stock SC rims with 255/55R16 General UHP grabber tires. Tirerack about $80 a piece. Until this last shootout my car put down better times on those than with the ET Streets. Once you drive them in the rain you'll never buy anything else.
Alan

thunderkid84
12-03-2008, 03:53 PM
i've lowered my sc 1.5" and then put Falken 255/50/16(biggest tire that will fit on the stock rim) in back and Fuzion Zri 225/50/16 up front.

it looks awesome, especially the staggered tires.

just something to think about :)

decipha
12-03-2008, 05:18 PM
if your going to replace the wheels IMO the only option would be to go wider and bigger as well as reduce that sidewall like you want.

275/40ZR18 Its the stock size tire on many mercedez and the corvette, thus it can be had very cheap and its a major improvement over stock. I'd recommend 8.5-9.5" wide wheels as per tire manufacturer recommendations.

I'm currently looking for a set of 18" chrome wheels with a 0 offset and a 63.9mm centerbore thats 9.5" wide in our 5x108mm bolt pattern.

Not the easiest of tasks but I won't quit until I have found some.

toronto_1990sc
12-04-2008, 11:33 AM
if your going to replace the wheels IMO the only option would be to go wider and bigger as well as reduce that sidewall like you want.

275/40ZR18 Its the stock size tire on many mercedez and the corvette, thus it can be had very cheap and its a major improvement over stock. I'd recommend 8.5-9.5" wide wheels as per tire manufacturer recommendations.

I'm currently looking for a set of 18" chrome wheels with a 0 offset and a 63.9mm centerbore thats 9.5" wide in our 5x108mm bolt pattern.

what's "offset"?

toronto_1990sc
12-04-2008, 11:38 AM
thanks guys.

on a stock car how big can i go? i'd like to fill the wheel well as much as possible...can that be done or can you not exceed the original stock wheel diameter?

i guess you could only go so big on the fronts before you touch the wheel well on turns.

having slightly bigger tire on the back seems like a cool idea...suggestions? downsides? precautions?

i'd like to find a used set of 18" alloys then get low prifile tires to match...what do i need to know numbers wise? ie: what will fit? all those numbers confuse me!

toronto_1990sc
12-04-2008, 11:44 AM
here's what bugging me too:

how can different width tires fit on the same rim??

stock is 225 right?...and you're saying 255 can go on that same rim? wouldnt you need a wider rim??

EDIT:

ahhhhh

"Rim Width Range: 6 - 9 in"

so stock rims can hold 6-9inch..whats that in tire size/mm?

thunderkid84
12-04-2008, 01:53 PM
255 is the biggest u can go on the stock rims (which, i believe, are 16"X7").

many people here have done it, including myself. do a little searching...

Dirtyd0g
12-04-2008, 01:59 PM
The 255/55R16 I mentioned are slightly taller than stock. You can't go any wider than that without having to space the wheels out or they will rub. 18's make more clearance but ride like crap.
Alan

toronto_1990sc
12-04-2008, 02:03 PM
The 255/55R16 I mentioned are slightly taller than stock. You can't go any wider than that without having to space the wheels out or they will rub. 18's make more clearance but ride like crap.
Alan

really?? why?

slowpoke
12-04-2008, 03:40 PM

offest is like the rims dirtydog said, 18's most rims like that change the position of where the tire sits in your wheel well. by getting offset rims to center the tire a lil more you can fit slightly wider tires. that would have allot better look imo, and could only help with traction. looks like decipha has been looking into this topic a lil.

Rpdboss
12-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Thats a 15% change from stock. I running it right now and theres maybe 1/2 inch of space between the treads and the frontward rear GFX piece. Seems our wheelwells are not centered up the best or made that way with a reason.:rolleyes: NYS inspection almost failed it due to it throwing off the trans speed sensor which can affect emmisions:rolleyes: and said i'll end up in the ditch with these on:confused:

Dirtyd0g
12-04-2008, 06:08 PM
on the 16's your tire is very close to rubbing the knuckle. The knuckle tapers back at the top so larger rims make more clearance.
Alan

cudaz101
12-13-2008, 06:52 AM
love my SC..but looking at it (100% stock everything) the wheels and tires are pretty dated...(225/60/16 tires...kinda fat)...i'd like something more modern with a lower aspect ratio.

what specs do i need to know when considering an upgrade?

what are good wheel/tire combos (looking for sizes, not brands) that will fit right on a stock car?

thanks

It sounds to me like you are wanting to go away from stock. Something that fits and looks proper on the car. This is simple...Hit me up and I can answer any questions you have.

Cheers

Brad

cudaz101
12-13-2008, 06:55 AM

I have some Chrome 18X9.5 with stock bolt pattern and the correct offset. Your search is over if you want something that will actually fit.

Brad

cudaz101
12-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Alan

I run 18's....My car does not ride like crap.

Exactly how do 18's make more clearance??

Brad

Dirtyd0g
12-13-2008, 03:15 PM
18's make more clearance tot he knuckle because the rims are farther up where the knuckle is closer to the center of the car. slide your hand between the tire and knuckle on 16 then try it on 18's you will see. I don't like the ride of a car on thin little tires. I like some sidewall. Then again I have fdriven one of these cars with 20's on it and hated it. Feels like walking in shoes that are 3 sizes too big. 18's aren't nearly that bad but there is definately a ride quality difference.
Alan

Ira R.
12-13-2008, 03:45 PM
This all comes down to personal preference. We all like we what we like and sometimes you give up something to get something.

For example, I have 235x60-16 on the stock rim on the rear of the car. Stock 225x60 on the front. The 235 sits a tad higher and a tad wider and I like the way it fills the wheel well but preserves the stock look. No ride difference between the two sizes but the tires don't provide the traction a wider tire would so it does affect my driving style.

My wife's car has 245x45-18. The ride is much stiffer then my car but the car holds the road like the tires were glued to it and the look is just great as far as I'm concerned. Pics of her car are in my sig if you are curious.

All depends on what you want.

Ira