Grungy coolant overflow tank

toronto_1990sc

the plastic coolant overflow tank thingy is pretty grimy inside...is that bad? might particles get into the rad? how can i clean it out?

get some degreaser/cleaner and some rocks. put the cleaner and some rocks in the tank, cover the holes so nothing comes out, and shake it up until you get the desired cleanliness. spray it all out with clean water when done. it sounds funny but worked great for me on some other plastic tanks i couldnt get clean.

get some degreaser/cleaner and some rocks. put the cleaner and some rocks in the tank, cover the holes so nothing comes out, and shake it up until you get the desired cleanliness. spray it all out with clean water when done. it sounds funny but worked great for me on some other plastic tanks i couldnt get clean.

hmm..neat...is it difficult to remove? is it dangerous to have a grimy tank?

Hate to hy jack a thread but I was intrested in the tensioners on your engine. Got a closer picture of them

Ken

I did exactly this procedure but used nuts and bolts instead of rocks. It worked real well.

same method, but some super clean and coarse salt works wonders. a little finer and gets more out.

i will try to get a good picture, but i think i bought the chrome piece form spinning wheels, its just a 1/16" flat plate with holes in it chromed, and the tensioner is just painted.

im sure you have the machining capabilities to make one, it looks very easy to reproduce, but it was such an inexpensive dress up i couldnt resist buying them.

i will try to get a good picture, but i think i bought the chrome piece form spinning wheels, its just a 1/16" flat plate with holes in it chromed, and the tensioner is just painted.

im sure you have the machining capabilities to make one, it looks very easy to reproduce, but it was such an inexpensive dress up i couldnt resist buying them.

I built them for Victor and have them on my car. Are the pulleys his alum tensioner pulleys?

Ken

no the pulleys are from wazee i think, its been a while.

It all looks very nice. I am reworking my tensioners with cobra pulleys. Back to the thread. I dont have any idea at all how to make the old overflow tank look good so for mine I just built one out of polished alum.

Ken

Arggggggggggghhhhhhh,! (In a best pirate impression) There seems to be a hi-jacking in progress! LOL!!!!

i actually cleaned mine as i said above, then painted it black but left a small square unpainted at the full lines so i can stick a light in there at night or let the sun in to read the level.

you can actually see the white box on the side of resevoir tank in the picture (below). its right above the radiator hose coming out of the radiator.

Build a custom tank, or there are tons of tanks you can buy at stores like Summit Racing or Jegs that you can bolt in and run a diffrent hose to. I built my to fit the space available under my hood

Ken

Attachments

• Side shroud.jpg
    Side shroud.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 84
whaa? explain please.

Tiny black particles floating in the coolant can actually be head gasket material. After a while they build up and stick to the walls of the tank. I was hoping it was just leftovers from the last time I blew them but I completely flushed and refilled the system and the black gunk of death came back. I can smell exhaust gasses in my overflow reservoir. No oil in the water and no water in the oil. The exhaust blows bubbles into the tank.

Back