Alternator ?

Reminder - do not use the alternator to bring up the charge on the battery. Use a battery charger for this task, otherwise there is genuine risk of overheating the replacement alternator to the point of relatively quick failure.

Good luck w/your project(s).

I'm asking because I seem to recall people having to use different March underdrive pulleys on the late model alternator. Something about adding a spacer ??

David

I'm asking because I seem to recall people having to use different March underdrive pulleys on the late model alternator. Something about adding a spacer ??

David

You're right, I had to have ASP send me a spacer for my '95.

you are right.

David

If you use different pulleys there is a spacer. You didn't say anything about that when you first asked....Rich

If you use different pulleys there is a spacer. You didn't say anything about that when you first asked....Rich

So other than needing a spacer for using my underdrive pulley, everything else is the same ?? Anyone know what the dimensions for the spacer is ?

David

PS: Autozone shows the same part number for 91 and 94.

Ive notices replacement alternators will come with a spacer that you either use or dont depending on late model or early

So other than needing a spacer for using my underdrive pulley, everything else is the same ?? Anyone know what the dimensions for the spacer is ?

David

PS: Autozone shows the same part number for 91 and 94.
I hope you aren't planning on buying the AZ alternator.

It's a bit of a crap shoot. While the OE alternators definitely had different spacing, aftermarket replacements can be either. The key is only matching the pulley with the alternator and since any alternator you buy will have a pulley on it already, you won't know which one you get till you get it. That's why parts houses list the same part # for all years.

My autozone replacement did not need the spacer while the stocker did, with my underdrive pulley. I have the spacer in the ashtray now.

Back