How to ID a Engine

Raymondo

Ok, my son totaled the '95 SC I had and I have pulled the motor to put it in my other son's '93 SC. I know there are some differences, but the '95 was sporting a rebuilt motor that the previous owner had installed. I am not certain it is a '95 as the dipstick, although correct for the year, did not work properly on the motor itself. So, can anyone tell me how to determine the year model of this motor. Stamped on the block is the following ID# RF-F1SE-6015-GA.

Thanks!
Raymondo

Timing cover is the best way I know of. I'm not aware of markings on the block that might tell you different.

The 89-93 timing covers are setup for the DIS 3 vane crank sensor bracket. The 94/95 are setup to support their EDIS crank sensor as well as holes for the DIS module crank sensor.

Ok, my son totaled the '95 SC I had and I have pulled the motor to put it in my other son's '93 SC. I know there are some differences, but the '95 was sporting a rebuilt motor that the previous owner had installed. I am not certain it is a '95 as the dipstick, although correct for the year, did not work properly on the motor itself. So, can anyone tell me how to determine the year model of this motor. Stamped on the block is the following ID# RF-F1SE-6015-GA.

Thanks!
Raymondo

F1SE is a 1991 Part number.

You cant go by the numbers on the the block as My 2 94`s both had F1 numbers. They used blocks from early castings but made some changes to these. Dave D. might be able to tell you what else to look for.

Check like Mike said on the timing chain cover for sure. A 94/95 has 2 threaded mounting posts on the front right side for the crank sensor. An 89-93 is flat.

Check like Mike said on the timing chain cover for sure. A 94/95 has 2 threaded mounting posts on the front right side for the crank sensor. An 89-93 is flat.

But someone could put a 94/95 timing cover on a 89-93 block so that wouldn't tell you anything except what year timing cover the motor has on it...............:rolleyes:

You cant go by the numbers on the the block as My 2 94`s both had F1 numbers. They used blocks from early castings but made some changes to these. Dave D. might be able to tell you what else to look for.

I didn't think they casted new blocks every year. I was just stating a fact that the F1SE is a 1991 part number. Doesnt mean it was only produced in 1991. However Im sure its possible that the suffix in the part number is the telltale of the production year of the block in this case.

As already pointed out, F1SE was used (in 1990) to indicate a 1991 model block. F=1990's; 1 = '91; S=car line; E=engine part

6015 is/was Ford's generic engine block (group) number reference as part of the casting number.

GA means the seventh design (G) of the (A) first instance/change (of an engine block, etc.).

Their may also be a specific casting date code in the same area as the casting number. Example: “0L25” (December 25, 1990).

And finally there is a code indicating the engine assembly date, which is typically 30 ~ 90 days prior to being mated with a chassis on the assembly line.

Last edited:
I understood that the engine blocks were made well in advance and stored and seasoned before assembly and put into service. I do agree that this block was cast in 91. I guess the only way as pointed out is to remove the pan. Here is a old pic of my 94 engine with the F1 part #

Attachments

• 94 engine red.jpg
    94 engine red.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 79
Back