early signs of HG failure

decipha

I've been busy searching around reading all the head gasket threads I can but I still haven't found a straight forward answer.

What are some early signs of head gasket failure? I am seriously questioning my head gaskets right now and would like to know what others have experienced. I really don't have any signs of HG failure but I just have that gut feeling, and my gut is usually right!

Coolant tank overflows or bubbles a lot during wide open throttle.

Temp gauge eratic.

Heater blows hot then cold.

Loss of coolant.

Excessive steam from tail pipes.

Exhaust smells like coolant.

Constant miss or weak feeling motor.

David

i was at the track when mine blew out but prior to it blowing out i noticed that the car would chug (almost like a slight missfire) a little bit when it was idling and i would rev it up and it would clear out but if i let it idle again it would do the same thing until it finally let got and hydrolocked. hope that helps

It can also happen very unexpectedly, with no syptoms. I'd say if you have over 100k miles on the original headgaskets, that you should be expecting them anytime. On the other hand, my black SC, I believe is still on it's original set, with 250k miles! :eek:

I really don't have any signs of HG failure but I just have that gut feeling, and my gut is usually right!
Then make the choice to either change them or not. :rolleyes: I've done the job on all 3 of my tbirds.. however, only 1 needed it and it had obvious symptoms of HG failure. Unless you have time and/or are planning on doing some engine restoration, or just want to tinker under the hood... I'd just leave em alone. ;)

Last edited:
HG failure

Mine happened right after the engine ran hot one night. On my way to work the next morning the motor was clicking loudly under load. On the way home it stopped clicking and when stopped at a redlight I pegged the boost gage and wasn't moving. But at least if you change them before they blow you won't have to be suprised or stranded.

Or you can have no symptoms.

On one sc,we did the head gaskets as a preventative measure,car had approx 72000mi,and there were signs of impending HG failure.

The car has been in the family since new,hasnt been abused or overheated.

Coolant tank overflows or bubbles a lot during wide open throttle.

Temp gauge eratic.

Heater blows hot then cold.

Loss of coolant.

Excessive steam from tail pipes.

Exhaust smells like coolant.

Constant miss or weak feeling motor.

David
also milky looking oil, or orange sludge in the coolant. a compression check wont always work but sometimes can tell aswell

Back