Newer DIN size climate control in 89-93 SC??

92bird

Is it possible to put a climate control unit from a 94-97 T-bird in my '92 SC?

Reason being, I would like to install it in the DIN sized space below the current '92 climate control, and fit some gauges and switches in the spot where the current climate control is (which appears to be larger than DIN size).

I don't care if its manual or electronic control (my car currently has the electronic climate control) I'd prefer the '94-'97 manual conrol, but if its easier to wire up the auto one, I'd rather do that..

Jeramie

It could be done. Your looking at some serious work though. Getting a 94-95 heaterbox could be a must do to the differences of the systems...not to mention the electrical issues. If you have Eatc now you are using a blend door actuator, in car sensor, variable blower speed controller. Therefore I would say it would be easier to switch to the late model Auto system(EATC). Im sure someone has done this before on here. Lots of guys put the later model dashes in the older SC's....Why not just extend the vacuum, electrical, etc. so that you could move it where you want it?? Or is that not a possibility?

Last edited:
That was my original plan, however the early EATC is larger than a standard radio "DIN" size.

In 94-97 the EATC was reduced in size to fit a "DIN" sized opening, so it could theoretically be swapped to any of the 3 DIN locations on a 94-97 if the lines reached. Plus. I like the functionality of the newer EATC's better. You get an outside temp control, and I found a new old stock EATC for a 94-97 car for like $40..

I do have the EVTM manuals for both a '92 and a '95.. Might just need to take a while and go through each of the diagrams.

Thanks for the advice!

Jeramie

That was my original plan, however the early EATC is larger than a standard radio "DIN" size.

In 94-97 the EATC was reduced in size to fit a "DIN" sized opening, so it could theoretically be swapped to any of the 3 DIN locations on a 94-97 if the lines reached. Plus. I like the functionality of the newer EATC's better. You get an outside temp control, and I found a new old stock EATC for a 94-97 car for like $40..

I do have the EVTM manuals for both a '92 and a '95.. Might just need to take a while and go through each of the diagrams.

Thanks for the advice!

Jeramie

Yes I would definitely sit down and research any differences between the two years. I'm sure this could be done. My main concern would be electrical differences between the two control heads.

Back