IRS cooler?

quick35th

Guys is anyone running a rear differential cooler? I'd imagine not but I figured I would ask.

Shane
Glynn Motorsports

That control freak cover would be nice for adding a cooler to it. Extra capacity and a extra threaded hole would help to make it pretty bolt on.

That was kind of what I was thinking. I would do that and have a mount put on the car near one of the UCAs. That way you could run a mechanical pump when the car bounces/rebounds. Some of the Nascar style cars do it that way but they have a solid mount that goes over the punkin (I think) and pumps it when they hit a bump.

SWS

That was kind of what I was thinking. I would do that and have a mount put on the car near one of the UCAs. That way you could run a mechanical pump when the car bounces/rebounds. Some of the Nascar style cars do it that way but they have a solid mount that goes over the punkin (I think) and pumps it when they hit a bump.

SWS

Wait I dont think I fallow you. Are you saying when the suspension bounces/rebounds it turns a mechanical pump which pumps the fluid from the diff to the cooler? I thought that the nascar guys used a mechanical pump the is run off the diff where the driveshaft bolts to it via a belt drive.

Shane
Glynn Motorsports

That could be it. I was reading an article about it (a few years ago when I used to follow Nascar) that said it was mounted to the frame and there was a pad on the axle that would pump it when the suspension compressed. They were using it to save parasitic loss off of the driveline. Not sure what kind of pump other than a fuel pump could get that kind of result though.

SWS

power steering pump, perhaps? i have a pump from a miata that is uber tiny... would work perfect, and have a high flow rate... i'll offer it up to ya, chris if you wanna try something like that out... i saw a similar system on an f-prod. racing miata.. actually the one that won the nat. championship.... not sure if he had a cooler, but he had an external tank, mounted just behind the rear diffy, was a neat setup.

best bet is to figure out what flow rate and viscosity of the material is you want to achieve. Then find a pump that can pump it. Best bet is an electrical pump that runs off a thermostatic switch. Then it's not having to do anything until you start stressing it.

There are now some really nice 12v pumps that are magnetic drive which removes the shaft seal failure problem typical with with such pumps in the past. This adds significantly to the longevity of the pump and motor. I.e. this Laing pump http://www.lainginc.com/D5_Strong.htm I like these pumps as they have a speed controller built to keep flow rates constant and deal with voltage fluctuations.

I would think a mechanical pump would be the best thing to move the thick gear oil. The best thing I could think would be to machine the case for a pump driven off of the pinion shaft and then have 2 fittings coming out of the case. You wouldn't want very high pressure so even a water pump style pump would move the fluid. Definately worth a thought.
Alan

Back