Another rebuild question

gbabione

According to my manual there is a cam button and spring at end of cam. Mine did not have one when it came back from shop. Is there supposed to be one?

According to my manual there is a cam button and spring at end of cam. Mine did not have one when it came back from shop. Is there supposed to be one?

There should be a washer up against the end (outer) cam journal, the camplate and screws go on next. Then the cam gear for the CMP. Then the cam sprocket/chain and bolt. I would use a shop manual diagram to reassemble if you are unsure at all. If not assembled properly, the cam will walk causing bearing and cam failure. Make sure you get it right. Ive seen them assembled and run while incorrect, it wasn't pretty...

Maybe KMT or someone can chime in with a diagram for you.

<div style="background-color:white;
background-repeat:repeat;
width:100px;
height:200px;">
Some have a thrustplate and some have a button/spring. Ours has the thrustplate (#2 in the diagram).
0900c1528006b72e.gif
3.8L Engine

To install:
Lightly oil all bolt and stud bolt threads before installation, except those specifying special sealant.

1. Inspect the camshaft rear bearing cover for damage or leakage and replace if necessary.
  2. Before installing, lubricate the camshaft lobes and bearing surfaces with Engine Assembly Lubricant D9AZ-19579, or equivalent.
  3. Install the camshaft, being careful not to damage the bearing surfaces and lobes while sliding it into position.
  4. Position the camshaft thrust plate with the groove towards the cylinder block. Tighten the bolts to 71-124 inch lbs.l (8-14 Nm).
  5. Install the engine balance shaft gear spacer, timing chain, camshaft sprocket and timing chain front cover.
  6. Install the oil pan, as outlined earlier in this section.
  7. Install the valve tappet guide plate and retainer, valve tappet guide plates and valve tappets.
</div>

Last edited:
I had all that done. Where did that illustration come from? I have the Haynes manual and it doesn't have that. Matter of fact, it leaves out a lot of info and gives misinformation! That is where I got the button info. It should say except supercharged. It also says the cam sprocket has bolt holes that need to align with offset threaded holes in the camshaft flange. There are no holes in the sprocket. Thanks for replying. I'll probably posting more since this book leaves out so much.

>Where did that illustration come from?

Autozone.com - they've been adding more and more repair related content lately. Make sure to set up for your car/year/SC etc. first, then find the part, then you can tap the related repair details, if there are any. In this case, it discussed the TC 4-cylinder first, followed below by the 3.8.

I try to reference more than one source and then piece together a compilation in my head if things don't jive from one to the other.

Good luck w/your project.

Last edited:
>Where did that illustration come from?

Autozone.com - they've been adding more and more repair related content lately. Make sure to set up for your car/year/SC etc. first, then find the part, then you can tap the related repair details, if there are any. In this case, it discussed the TC 4-cylinder first, followed below by the 3.8.

I try to reference more than one source and then piece together a compilation in my head if things don't jive from one to the other.

Good luck w/your project.

The illistration above does not show the Very important spacer I referred to above. It is also a little incomplete. Not flaming here. Always appreciate your help KMT...

>The illistration above does not show the Very important spacer I referred to above

Thanks, your comments are always welcome :) - I'll keep looking in that case, but so far all I can find is spyware online and same image in my dead trees.

Last edited:
>The illistration above does not show the Very important spacer I referred to above

Thanks - I'll keep looking in that case.

Would be better off with an exploded view of the 3.8l short block, than any single installation. Such as the cam above. If that doesnt work, it may be under a timing chain diagram, but I would think that was a long shot.

Back