Car Stalls

eli smoke

Hey everyone. My 89 5-speed starts fine, runs fine, then after 10 to 15 minutes it just stalls out and wont start back up, then, 10 or 15 minutes later it starts like there was never a problem. It cranks but just wont start. Just tried it in my driveway it ran for 10 or so minutes then stalled, wouldn't start back up for awhile then started and ran fine for about and hour and i shut it off. Car is stock, no modifications that i know of. I bought it used in 92.
Any help or at least point me in some type of direction would be appreciated thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Done any repairs lately?

Do you know how to check the diagnostic code's...?

I'd start there - less tail-chasing/money wasting/expletive tossing, etc. :)

I have no check engine light on. The only repair i did was a clutch in the spring. And know i don't know how to check for codes.

You can DIY code check, or invest in a reader...some as low as $35.00. Be sure to use SC specific codes found here. The self-test connector is in the engine compartment on the passenger side, near the firewall. I'd recommend owning a code reader if you intend to own an SC.

When you say it won't restart - is the scenario one where you try to start and it spins but won't fire...sometimes spins over slowly or not at all? How many restarts do you attempt right away? If this is what's happening, try at least 3 times to restart - this might allow the computer to step in and substitute info from sensors that may be having issues. Does it stall or run poorly at all when driven around?

Had that happen to my 89 a few years back and ended up being the fuel pump, damn thing left me on the side of the road. Do you notice a loss of power before it goes out?
Might not be your problem but the same symptoms happened to me and it was time for the pump.
As stated above check your codes first, also when it dies on you check the fuel pressure.
S

Yeah, I should get a code reader, but have never needed one in the 16 years that I've owned the car. I have had things break but have always been able to fix them easily. When it dies its like someone just turns the key off. No loss of power or hesitation just turns off.

Last edited:
>have never needed one in the 16 years that I've owned the car.

If it has ever gone in for repairs, someone may have :)

If you can do a clutch change, I'm sure you can handle pulling codes. Good luck and let us know what you find.

When it dies its like someone just turns the key off. No loss of power or hesitation just turns off.

Are you sure that there is no loss of power? When it shuts down are the dash idiot lights coming on or is it all dark?
If all is dark I would look at the electrical part of the ignition switch, they have been know to go bad also.
Im still leaning towards a fuel pump though.
S

Next time it wont start, remove the cap on the fuel schrader valve on the fuel rail and depress the core and see if gas squirts out under pressure. If so then check and see if it has spark. Sounds like an ignition problem initally. CMP, CKP, or DIS module. Reading codes is a very good idea first as recommended above.

Yes, as soon as i get a code reader probably sometime next week i will pull the codes never really had a problem in all the years so I can't complain to much.
thanks for the advice this place has been a wealth of information over the years.

Back