PDA

View Full Version : Mark VIII LCA - Delrin Bushings

DLF
12-14-2008, 07:51 PM
I found a place where I can get Delrin LCA Bushings made for the Mark VIII Aluminum Lower Control Arms.

Not cost effective until at least 5 sets (6 bushings/4 sleeves)* are made.

For 5 sets - $260 **

For 10 sets - $190 **

** Pricing estimated until the actual order is placed.

Bushings made from black delrin, sleeves from 6061 aluminum.

Prices include shipping. After shipping, and PayPal fees, I'd just about break even, so I'm not looking to get rich :)

I'd have to place the entire order, and then ship the individual sets.

It would take about a 4-6 weeks to have them made.

Any interest?

1 - DLF
2 - Thomas A

* I've redesigned the rear (larger) bushing to be in two pieces, with a shoulder on both ends to more positively locate the LCA.

Thomas A
12-15-2008, 02:12 AM
Put me down as interested.

Would it be less expensive to have them made in a standard "OEM" material?

Thomas

XxSlowpokexX
12-16-2008, 11:24 AM
So this is for lowers only>? I believe they are the same as teh cobra no?

DLF
12-16-2008, 11:43 AM
So this is for lowers only>? I believe they are the same as teh cobra no?

Lowers only, and NOT the same as the Cobra IRS.

DLF
12-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Put me down as interested.

Would it be less expensive to have them made in a standard "OEM" material?

Thomas

What "OEM" material do you have in mind. If you're talking about the natural "white" delrin, the cost difference is negligible.

XxSlowpokexX
12-16-2008, 08:18 PM
When I was looking into ths a few years back I forgor if it was the Mrk VIII or stock SC lowers that could use the delrin bushings .

Have you tried them yet?

DLF
12-16-2008, 08:22 PM
When I was looking into ths a few years back I forgor if it was the Mrk VIII or stock SC lowers that could use the delrin bushings .

Have you tried them yet?

I haven't tried the Cobra Delrin bushings in the stock SC LCA's, but I currently have both the Mark VIII and Cobra LCA's in my garage, and the diameters are way different.

Thomas A
12-16-2008, 09:12 PM
What "OEM" material do you have in mind. If you're talking about the natural "white" delrin, the cost difference is negligible.

I guess I was thinking of something different. I thought Delrin was similar to poly when it came to bushings. If not, then I'm thinking of something else.

Thomas

Mike8675309
12-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Delrin tends to be longer lasting that poly. Whoever makes these may want to check out this thread, and note the use of grease channels to quiet them down in his design.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/suspension-258/260665-complete-irs-delrin-uhmw-alum-bushing-kit-w-adj-sway-bar-links-bumpsteer-kit.html

superdadsc
12-16-2008, 10:18 PM
What is the advantage to these? Lighter weight, any performance in regards to handling?

Stephen

DLF
12-17-2008, 12:06 AM
What is the advantage to these? Lighter weight, any performance in regards to handling?

Stephen

Positive location of the lower control arm. Changing to delrin bushings in my Cobra w/IRS was the single biggest upgrade I've done in the battle against wheel hop, and it cut .1-.2 off my ET. The car hooked up and there was far less drama during shifts. I expect similar results in my SC.

Let's face it, the stock bushings (SC or Mark VIII) weren't created with performance in mind, and the LCA's move all over the place under hard acceleration (or braking for that matter).

Delrin is a hard, slippery material, that will resist wear while reducing bind, and will keep the LCA where it belongs.

I'm just about at the point where I'm going to buy my own lathe/milling machine, as I'd also like to have delrin for the knuckle bushings.

DLF
12-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Delrin tends to be longer lasting that poly. Whoever makes these may want to check out this thread, and note the use of grease channels to quiet them down in his design.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/suspension-258/260665-complete-irs-delrin-uhmw-alum-bushing-kit-w-adj-sway-bar-links-bumpsteer-kit.html

Yup, seen that, have some of his stuff in my Cobra.

Thomas A
12-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Put me down for a set. I have a pair of Mark VIII LCA's sitting here with no bushings in them, so I have to do something.

Thomas

superdadsc
12-17-2008, 06:50 AM
I will get in touch w/ you in early 09.

Stephen

DLF
12-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Since there hasn't been an overwhelming response to this, it's not cost effective to have a machine shop do the work....

....So, I've got a lathe and materials on the way to make my own.

Once I've finalized the design, and installed a set in my SC, I'll be offering sets for sale.

I'm also going to produce delrin bushings for the IRS spindle.

More to follow. :)

Thomas A
12-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Let me know! I'll need something when the time comes. Thanks for looking into this.

Thomas

Belisarius
12-28-2008, 03:40 AM
What's the part # on the Mark VIII LCAs and are they for the front or the back, or do I just need to search here somewhere to get the part number? I need to do the suspension on my '95 SC.

nanatothesixth
12-28-2008, 12:57 PM
i would also be interested in a set!, let me know when it happens. thanks! Tom

DLF
12-28-2008, 02:05 PM
i would also be interested in a set!, let me know when it happens. thanks! Tom

Will do. The new lathe is setup in my shop and the raw aluminum and delrin arrives tomorrow. :D

Thomas A
12-28-2008, 02:22 PM
What's the part # on the Mark VIII LCAs and are they for the front or the back, or do I just need to search here somewhere to get the part number? I need to do the suspension on my '95 SC.

They are the rear, and you can't just go down to a parts store and buy a new set like you can for the fronts. They are a large aluminum piece, and are only available from Ford, if they still sell them, or used.

Thomas

XxSlowpokexX
12-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Hey Doug,

I had talked to that guy over at SVT for awhile and tried my damdest to get him to produce this stuff for the sc...

Now being you are going to do it I think it be a great idea to have the grease fitting mods incorperated into the design...WOuld you be looking into subframe bushings? Or even upper control arm bushings?

Ive driven in an 03 cobra with a full delrin install and wheel hop was gone>>>>>(or anything noticable was) I think it be great

DLF
12-29-2008, 12:28 AM
Hey Doug,

I had talked to that guy over at SVT for awhile and tried my damdest to get him to produce this stuff for the sc...

Now being you are going to do it I think it be a great idea to have the grease fitting mods incorperated into the design...WOuld you be looking into subframe bushings? Or even upper control arm bushings?

Ive driven in an 03 cobra with a full delrin install and wheel hop was gone>>>>>(or anything noticable was) I think it be great

I don't plan on doing the subframe bushings, unless I have to. It's my belief that the subframe isn't the problem, but I won't know for sure until I get the LCA and Spindle bushings in. And, I don't want to completely destroy the ride quality.

As for the UCA, I don't think it's an issue either, as it's only there to maintain camber, there won't be any lateral forces on the UCA if the LCA and Spindle are positively located. The UCA is so weak anyway, that any effort on the inner bushing would be a waste of time.

In my opinion (for what that's worth), positively locating the LCA (and doing away with the bandaid toe link [more on this later]), and using delrin bushings in the Spindle, will solve the issue.

And lastly, I have a plan for grease fittings.

ricardoa1
12-29-2008, 10:23 AM
You are already walking the same path I walked last year. If you missed it I did a write up on Poly bushings on my Mark VIII control arms. Wheel hop is not eliminated but about 75% reduced. THe upper control arm remains to be a problem The inner upper bushings cannot be replaced since its a eccentric and is used for aligment. You are in the right path but it will no eliminate it. Next in line is the IRS bushings that might help....At least manny had some sucess on one of his cars.

Search for my write up. Its call called the "No wheel hop project"

DLF
12-29-2008, 10:35 AM
You are already walking the same path I walked last year. If you missed it I did a write up on Poly bushings on my Mark VIII control arms. Wheel hop is not eliminated but about 75% reduced. THe upper control arm remains to be a problem The inner upper bushings cannot be replaced since its a eccentric and is used for aligment. You are in the right path but it will no eliminate it. Next in line is the IRS bushings that might help....At least manny had some sucess on one of his cars.

Search for my write up. Its call called the "No wheel hop project"

I've read it, thanks.

However, there are large differences between poly and delrin.

ricardoa1
12-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Agreed, Delrin is softer and more durable. But being softer means it will solve less of the wheel hop.

I figure Id mention my write up if you did not read it, it could save you some time and agrevation. :) And end up spending less money..

ricardoa1
12-29-2008, 11:26 AM
I take that back....Delrin is harder. But I think Cobra guys can get delrin bushings same as me and with the metal spacers I got it could make the job easier.

Here is a link....I used this guy for the Alum Diff bushings. Fast shipping. Keep in mind you are going to transfer more load to the top mentioned bushing and so far its fine on my car but who knows how it will affect it in terms of durability.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/cobra-rs-25/160766-cobra-irs-delrin-control-arm-bushings.html

XxSlowpokexX
12-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Now as far as the Spindle bushings there is that argument where they are made to give for toe compensation in a turn..

Im all about this because honestly driving a 5 speed sc with power is not a fun thing IMO...And doe we really need toe compensation to prevent the rear from sliding out when upgrading to a more performance oriented suspension and tire package.

And how will this effect handeling without playing with the front bushings..Im interested of course....I;d even take a ride out to NJ to be a guinie pig :O)

ricardoa1
12-29-2008, 03:22 PM
I dont think that the Knucke bushings have any direct connection to the toe compensator link. It is the lower control arm bushings that have a direct effect on it. 300zxs had the HICAS 4WS system that worked great, but most high HP owners chucked it for better tractions under power. Similar applies here.

There has to be a compromise. But from my car I can tell you that the toe link did little because I cannot tell the difference. Going stiffer might make it alittle noticeble but I highly doub it. I was a neat feature that helps with bump steer but well worth giving up for some traction.

IMO.

Let us know how the Delrin works, I think you will see an improvement but will not eliminate it, there are other factors playing part here.

DLF
12-30-2008, 11:58 AM
I take that back....Delrin is harder. But I think Cobra guys can get delrin bushings same as me and with the metal spacers I got it could make the job easier.

Here is a link....I used this guy for the Alum Diff bushings. Fast shipping. Keep in mind you are going to transfer more load to the top mentioned bushing and so far its fine on my car but who knows how it will affect it in terms of durability.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/cobra-rs-25/160766-cobra-irs-delrin-control-arm-bushings.html

The Cobra poly bushings are sized to use the stock metal shells, which is why they will fit in the Mark VIII arms. The Delrin bushings for a Cobra are sized without the bushings.

The ID's of the Mark VIII LCA's are ~51.9/46 mm, while the Cobra LCA's are ~56/50mm (with a change in ID part way through the bore). The widths of the arms are also different, by a couple of mm, so the bushing flanges need to be different widths.

** Since this is no longer a "Group Purchase", we should move this discussion to the Suspension forum......

ricardoa1
12-30-2008, 12:26 PM
I see. :) Well you can take if from here let us know how it goes. I dont think I want to go stiffer then poly in my car, its already stiff enough for me.

I see some issues with getting people to jump on this.
* Only 5speed guys will be most likely interested.
* Not everyone has Mark VIII control arms, if you can offer these to the stock steel guys you will have more interest, perches are not currently avail, although I dont use one in my car.
* And last, Trying to get the bolts and nuts that hold the control arm to the subframe will be extremely hard on high mileage cars. And chances are they will get destroyed when removing them. I needed new ones after I removed the steel stocker. I think there was a problem with availability from ford also, they are ford only item since its part of the eccentric system.

I personally think is great.

DLF
12-30-2008, 12:52 PM
I see. :) Well you can take if from here let us know how it goes. I dont think I want to go stiffer then poly in my car, its already stiff enough for me.

I see some issues with getting people to jump on this.
* Only 5speed guys will be most likely interested.
* Not everyone has Mark VIII control arms, if you can offer these to the stock steel guys you will have more interest, perches are not currently avail, although I dont use one in my car.
* And last, Trying to get the bolts and nuts that hold the control arm to the subframe will be extremely hard on high mileage cars. And chances are they will get destroyed when removing them. I needed new ones after I removed the steel stocker. I think there was a problem with availability from ford also, they are ford only item since its part of the eccentric system.

I personally think is great.

Thanks, I agree, and plan to also design bushings for the stock LCA.

I have an extra set of LCA bolts.......

5-Speeds are all that counts :D

pablon2
01-12-2009, 05:50 PM
5-Speeds are all that counts :D

Despite this comment, I am interested in a set as well. :)

DLF
01-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Despite this comment, I am interested in a set as well. :)

:D J/K

See my post in the Members Only Suspension Forum for updates.

Belisarius
01-14-2009, 07:52 PM
:D J/K

See my post in the Members Only Suspension Forum for updates.

Having just picked up a pair of Lincoln Mk VIII LCAs I'd be interested in a set of Delrin bushings too. Unfortunately I can't get into the Member's Only section yet having only just paid for a membership in July of 2008.

My profile info is good though.

David

DLF
01-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Having just picked up a pair of Lincoln Mk VIII LCAs I'd be interested in a set of Delrin bushings too. Unfortunately I can't get into the Member's Only section yet having only just paid for a membership in July of 2008.

My profile info is good though.

David

I'll let you know when they're ready.

Belisarius
03-06-2009, 01:44 AM
Just wanted to bump this to let you know I'm still interested.

DLF
03-06-2009, 01:48 AM
Just wanted to bump this to let you know I'm still interested.

I've started to produce them, and already installed them on my car and one other.

I'll be posting a For Sale thread shortly.

postman71
05-27-2009, 06:32 PM
I am interested in these Delrin LCA Bushings made for the Mark VIII Aluminum Lower Control Arms. how do I contact you?

DLF
05-27-2009, 07:59 PM
I am interested in these Delrin LCA Bushings made for the Mark VIII Aluminum Lower Control Arms. how do I contact you?

I sent you a PM with my email...

DLF
05-27-2009, 08:01 PM
See this post for more info:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105574

XxSlowpokexX
05-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Seriously....you people need to get these..SERIOUSLY..If i had an auto Id be ehhhhhh,,But for a 5 speed....:eek: