95 auto lights, odometer doesn't always spin, etc

AJMSRUSH2

Hey guys,

Since I bought this 95 SC, I've been having problems that "Act up" but never actually break down so any mechanic I go to can never pin point the problem...So I guess you're the only ones who can figure this out...

1...my headlights don't turn on automatically anymore but they do manually but the parking lights come on/off automatically...how could I resolve this problem? new switch or somethin?

2...my odometer motor is acting up so it spins sometimes and doesn't spin...what fixes this?

3...had my cruise control fixed but it doesn't speed up when I tap 1MPH button or slow down 1MPH when I tap coast...I'm pretty sure it used to...what's up with that?

Trust me...I've tried lots of the simple solutions and talked to many mechanics and ASE Ford ppl

Thanks!
Andrew

Hey guys,

Since I bought this 95 SC, I've been having problems that "Act up" but never actually break down so any mechanic I go to can never pin point the problem...So I guess you're the only ones who can figure this out...

1...my headlights don't turn on automatically anymore but they do manually but the parking lights come on/off automatically...how could I resolve this problem? new switch or somethin?

2...my odometer motor is acting up so it spins sometimes and doesn't spin...what fixes this?

3...had my cruise control fixed but it doesn't speed up when I tap 1MPH button or slow down 1MPH when I tap coast...I'm pretty sure it used to...what's up with that?

Trust me...I've tried lots of the simple solutions and talked to many mechanics and ASE Ford ppl

Thanks!
Andrew

1. Either the headlamp switch or the Multifunction switch (turn signal switch). The fact that the parking lamps are working automatically tells me that the photocell in the rear view mirror is functioning and the system is not completely dead. My immediate guess would be the multifunction switch since you can turn the lights on manually. If that was not the case I would lean toward the headlamp switch itself.

2. You are missing some teeth on the odometer gears. That is why they work intermittently. I believe the website was speedogear.com. But you may have to google that one. 30 bucks if I remember correctly. If your are remotely good at taking things apart and reassembling them you can handle swapping these out. It is pretty simple...

3.Once again educated guess here. Could be either a VSS problem or speed control amplifier. Does it gain or lose speed at all if commanded? Not real sure you have a problem here at all. I would be thankful that it works!!! These cars along with most of the late 80's and 90's cars had unreliable cruise systems. They got more reliable when they did away with the vacuum cable servos, but the newer electrical servos were still marginal.... My SC does not respond to what you are questioning here either. My f-350 does though, but it is much newer and the system is completely different...

there is a relay that turns on the Headlights and Parking lights, and has dual contacts.. the set of contacts for the headlights may be corroded and no good anymore..
Since you said you can manual turn the head lights on, i would think it's that Relay.. and it's located on the drivers side under the dash, kinda near the center? and has 6? wires going into it

And is the speedo working or no?

Speedo works pretty good but I think it's off 5 mph (gotta check 4 sure but w/e)...cruise control works fine but used to seem to be more stable when now it kinda slows down and speeds up more often and won't tap 1mph up or down like it used to...

but the lights have the photocell on the dash near the passenger side of the windshield and so far I should replace the relay under the dash first...then move onto the turn signal then the actual light switch near the driver's side mirror? one at a time till something works? LOL

I think my mechanic said that the odometer gears were fine but the way they designed the motor for it got wierd around 94-95

speed control amp and/or VSS too?

ugh parts like these are hard to find as it is

Once again I was thinking early models. Yes your photocell is in the dash panel. The relay idea someone above suggested is another possibilty...I dont have a late model evtm....

94/95 Shop manual doesnt have a diagnostic flow chart for "headlamps work, auto lamps not working".
There are a couple more parts to this ... autolamp control switch ( your lamp switch ), Light sensor / Amplifier ( adjusting this can change how sensitive it will be to turning your lights on ), and there is an automatic headlamp dimmer relay.
EVTM's and Shop manual's really help out for stuff like this.

As for the Odometer - mine was doing the same thing. Green speedo gear was in good condition - it was just working intermittently. Swapped out the motor and that didnt fix anything. Looks like the circuit board went bad.
Might be able to pick up a 120 speedo, change to your miles and re-calibrate it for the 145 and use your face - there is a tech article on this site. Just a thought.

Cruise control .. if it works, but does not Resume, Accelerate or Coast down properly - it can be the Speed control actuator switch, vacuum hose, speed control vacuum valve, speed control servo, or speed control amplifier - helps to have a shop manual with flow charts here also .....

- Dan

Thanks Dan!

all I can say is that my speed control works and resumes and coasts and accelerates but just not by tapping it 1mph at a time and kinda speeds up and slows down too much kinda, but otherwise it seems like I gotta start throwing parts at it till its fixed...

I'll start with the relay for the lights as I upgrade to the 97 styles and then some other crap with speed control...I already replaced the module under the left front fender (think it was the servo) but the correct part number nonetheless...the amp and vaccuum stuff is next I guess

odometer...maybe later

Andrew

None of my 94's have ever worked like that by just tapping them. Ive always had to hold them down for a sec or so and it can be adjusted in small incriments.

Autolamp dual coil relay is located inside the dash, behind IP, RH side of steering column. ( below the defrost switch )

- Dan

Autolamp dual coil relay is located inside the dash, behind IP, RH side of steering column. ( below the defrost switch )

I'm still putting my money on that like i said above.. That or the wiring to and from it.. If with the auto lamps `on' and only the park lights come on.. it sure makes sense that it's the cause..

Also yah.. i think the step up/down cruise control system started in '96 if i remember correctly.. it was whenever they went `digital' AKA none Vacuum operated

you say that started to work by tapping the cruise control after 96? can I just replace some device on my 95 with a 96-97 device to make it work this way?

also...can I replace my traction control module with a 97 module to change it from a "low speed" traction to an "all speed" traction?

also...the 97's had a "one touch open" button for the moon roof...can I switch to that too?

AND finally....the 97's had a one touch opening for the driver's side window

Andrew

Last edited:
Back