Old problem with seatbelts in cold weather

tww

Hello All! My 89 XR/7 has a recurring problem in the winter. The motorized seatbelts
don't always work right. Sometimes they don't pull forward. Even when they
move as they should, the red light on the dashboard that says the seatbelts are not
fastened stays lit. The problem goes away when it warms up. Any ideas? How can
it be fixed?

Thanks,

Tom W.

Tom,

what i did is i took all the panels off and brought it back to the full seated position(over your shoulder position) and unplugged it. That's the easiest way to do it without switching to regular belts, which is what i should do.

If you dont want to do that you probably have some sort of issue with the motor which is in the drivers side rear panel with the speaker in it. you pull that off and the motor and gears are in there. also sometimes the track itself binds up too. if i remember right it is made out of plastic.

you will have to pull it apart to see what is actually wrong.

There is a plastic slider that rides inside of aluminum rails. Over time, it will start to bind due to the build up of aluminum particles in the grease. When it gets cold, its even worse because the grease thickens.

The solution is to remove/clean the rails and sliders, regrease with a good cold temp grease. White lithium tends to work better than good-ole wheel bearing grease. :cool:

>Or you can just replace the entire track and mechanism....

Ed - do you recall which years cross?

>Or you can just replace the entire track and mechanism....

Ed - do you recall which years cross?
89-93 had the same track system. I converted mine over to 94 and later which uses a normal seatbelt. There's writeups on how to do it.

Anyone have any pics/HOW TO

To disassemble the track mechanism on the driver side...im sick of the light, and it not operating...

Thanks,
-Tony

Anyone have any pics/HOW TO

To disassemble the track mechanism on the driver side...im sick of the light, and it not operating...

Thanks,
-Tony

Your light could be from the retractor on your right side next to the center console.....

Sometimes, I can get my light to go out by pulling the belt up and letting go....

I guess the recoil of the belt makes for a better contact with the switch......:rolleyes:

Back