Whining PS Pumpy

Young-SC-Owner

Hey fellas, after coming home last nite in that ice storm i noticed that my power steering pump is whining LOUD now. I checked the fluid and its fine!

Is it just the cold?
And I heard if I fill it with Mercon V it would quiet it up??

And #2

Got low on coolant, added some and now I dont get heat unless im giving it a bit of throttle. Is this a bubble issue? Or partial blockage in the lines?

Thanks,
-Tony

Tony - how cold is it? Are you sure you've got a good coolant mix that won't freeze up? You might want to try a bit of cardboard in front of the radiator to make sure you don't get a block of ice forming in the center.

Defnitly check your antifreeze wiht a hydrometer.....

I've had heater hoses freeze up, which makes for a cold ride home....

Your rack might be causing you pump to squeal.....

Lucas makes a pretty good product that helps stop PS pump squeals....

I checked my mix, and its fine!

its only between 12-20* outside and the mix is good to -25.

It started after i noticed my low coolant light on, maybe a partil blockage and in need of a backflush?

don't know about the ps. But what does your temp gauge read when your not getting heat?

Its up to operating temp!!

all i need to do is give it 250 MORE RPMS than idle and it will blow hot hot hot:p

its just getting sucky when I start it to warm up and defrost that i get cold air until i move...:(

Defnitly check your antifreeze wiht a hydrometer.....

I've had heater hoses freeze up, which makes for a cold ride home....

Your rack might be causing you pump to squeal.....

Lucas makes a pretty good product that helps stop PS pump squeals....

Ive seen it, never used it.
It did quiet down today, but its warmer outside

Don't know about the PS pump... (is there such thing as a quiet early Ford PS pump!?) :D

It sounds to me that you have an air bubble in the cooling system, I'm sure you know how these 3.8's can be... Although daverett has a point in that your gauge would be fluctuating. Hmmm, I would still try to bleed the system to see if you can get any air out of it, it's easy enough.

Hey fellas, after coming home last nite in that ice storm i noticed that my power steering pump is whining LOUD now. I checked the fluid and its fine!

Is it just the cold?
And I heard if I fill it with Mercon V it would quiet it up??

And #2

Got low on coolant, added some and now I dont get heat unless im giving it a bit of throttle. Is this a bubble issue? Or partial blockage in the lines?

Thanks,
-Tony

I would flush the ps fluid with mercon v....I did that in a windstar and all was quiet after.

Update::

I added some Valvoline 75000 Mile leak stop and seal reconditioner and within 5 mins it shut up! like now i cannot hear it at all even cranking it while idling!

Its at Autozone in an 8oz Bottle called Valvoline 75000 MAX LIFE

And my gauge does go from O on NORM down to the beginning of the N for the first length of a drive after warming it from an idle. Then it slowly creeps back up.

-Tony

My guage will go over to the MA part, drop down to NO then balance out. I always figured it was because of how the thermostat reacts, maybe its slow. Will the blower whine on a cold start? I had to refill my PS pump after the swap and it whined for a while and its still faint, but mostly just on a cold start, might have to get some of that.

My guage will go over to the MA part, drop down to NO then balance out. I always figured it was because of how the thermostat reacts, maybe its slow. Will the blower whine on a cold start? I had to refill my PS pump after the swap and it whined for a while and its still faint, but mostly just on a cold start, might have to get some of that.

Yeah man, stuff works GREAT!!

Of course....its at Autozone:p

Anyother great PS fluid is the Lucas Brand PS fluid. It comes out almost like grape jelly...it has a little body to it...stuff works really well.

-Tim

I believe SCs call for Type F tranny fluid for the PS. It's a little thicker than Mercon or Dexron but getting harder to find.

My recommendation is to pull the return line off the PS reservoir, fill it with Type F, run it 2minutes turning the wheel to mix it up, drain again, fill, run, drain etc 3-4 times or until the fluid is clean red coming out. That'll flush all the crud out of the system and get clean Type F in there. On all of my Ford's, that's shut them right up.

Back