Time to flush the heater core

TbirdSCFan

Along with my thermostat woes, my 3 cars make lame heat at best. I've found that flushing the core will get heat back.. at least for a while. I plan to blow the coolant out of the core and then fill it with CLR for 1-2 days. :cool:

Any other suggestions on a chemical which will work to dissolve the build up in the interior of the core ?

Okay, I have tried searching but can't seem to find the answer. How do you flush the heater core?

I've found the best way is to disconnect heater hose and use a 5/8" hose end repair (form any hardware store) and connect water hose and flow until clear, flush both ways for best results.

As for chemicals I'm curious what everyone uses, cause I think I need to seriously clean mine to get it to cool better (since coolant is brown).

Flush it with deionized or distilled water! City water can cause harm!

When you are done fill it with deionized or distilled water and Ford safe antifreeze with an anti corrosive inhibitor or 50/50 mix. :D

To prevent galvanic reactions in the heater core, I make sure my engine ground cable is in good working order.

sorta off the topic of the heater core here, ive heard of people that have done a/c deletes decide to run the heater hoses to the a/c pipes running into the cab and claim it makes far more heat that way. has anyone ever heard of this being done on the t-birds?

sorta off the topic of the heater core here, ive heard of people that have done a/c deletes decide to run the heater hoses to the a/c pipes running into the cab and claim it makes far more heat that way. has anyone ever heard of this being done on the t-birds?

sorry to crash your thread but,

slowpoke you need to check your PM's

Heater woes...

Do you have Climate Control? If so does the AC work only half-azzed also? If neither work well then the blend door motor might be shot. My 93 man. is in this situation. When it was last on the road, I disconnected the AC clutch wire and gained more heat for winter.
MikeH

Back