Swapping 5 Speed Rear Gear Advice

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Looking for some advice on what I should do with my latest purchase. I just picked up another 94 5spd to toy with. The prior owner thought it would be "cool" :rolleyes: to put 3.55's in the rear end to give it more "pep"...I just find it not practical for everyday use. 1 and 2 are useless and a quick burst in 3rd and it will fish tail if not a dry or clean pavement.

Now looking at my fleet of MN12's. I have a 93 5.0L and I was browsing thru the spec sheets http://www.sccoa.com/articles/thunderbird_1993.pdf and noticed the stock rear gear is a 3.08 which seems more practical and also a little better than the 2.73 stockers.

First off...am I reading this correctly.

Secondly...I have several pumpkins from other MN12s...I have the following ratios - 2.73, 3.55, and 3.73's. Which of these would be the best replacement for a BONE STOCK 5.0L.

Thanks for any advice or direction on this matter.

-Tim

Last edited:
You will find tons of opinions if you do a search. I have 3.27's and 1st is still pretty useless other than to get going from a dead stop. I've read 3.08's are a good choice. If your 3.08 rear is a traction loc then I would go with that.
Secondly...I have several pumpkins from other MN12s...I have the following ratios - 2.73, 3.55, and 3.73's. Which of these would be the best replacement for a BONE STOCK 5.0L.
The 3.73's are a popular step up for a lot of the autos.

For a daily driver SC with a 5spd, I'd go with the 3.08s. I had them for a couple years and they were great. The only problem was hitting 4th gear on the 1/4 about 200 feet from the line. 3.27s are a better gear for that or non-highway use. Although, I've driven mine on 500 mile+ trips with the 3.27s.

For the V8, 3.55 or 3.73s. I put 3.55s in my 95 4.6 and they're a pretty decent gear. A split second of lag from a stop with the lame stock convertor but miles better than the stock 3.08s.

your 95 doesn't have an aod so it'll be much different.

heres what you want to know plain and simple.

drop the 3.08 in the standard and the 3.73 in the 5.0.

/done - end thread

your 95 doesn't have an aod so it'll be much different.

heres what you want to know plain and simple.

drop the 3.08 in the standard and the 3.73 in the 5.0.

/done - end thread

Sounds good. Thanks for the advise guys. I will tackle this once the weather warms up here in the VA area...its a lovely 18 degrees right now which is less than desirable when laying on pavement.

-Tim

Back