tuning on a stock engine..

1990XR7SC

I just thought of something. Would a tuned chip work in a bone stock motor and what kind of advantage is there to be had? I know these engines run rich from factory but what if that could be improved. Also what relation is there to running rich and parts breaking or wearing out faster? And would it increse fuel economy?

I just thought of something. Would a tuned chip work in a bone stock motor and what kind of advantage is there to be had? I know these engines run rich from factory but what if that could be improved. Also what relation is there to running rich and parts breaking or wearing out faster? And would it increse fuel economy?

There are advantages. You can set the radiator fans to come on at a lower temperature and install a 180 degree thermostat and the car will run a little cooler. You can lean out the afr for better performance. Better performance and milage depending on how you adjust things. A chip is a good thing as long as you have someone to tune it for you

Ken

would it help with longevity?

I can tell you that helping to cool the engine has got to help. These cars have poor radiators and heat can kill off a motor. Also if the AFR is real rich you will likely, to some degree contaiminate your oil, over time if you get any blow by the rings. Running to rich might also create problems with the O2 sensors. Any tuning you do is good for the engine, now and in the future. The factory sets the cars within certain perameters a chip will help fine tune those

Ken

ok now to tune this would i have to send the comp to xr7 dave or what would have to happen?

I would just E mail Dave and ask him your questions directly. He is the best tuner we have in the community and will let you know the good the bad and the ugly. Dont PM him, just find one of his post and at the bottom it will have his E mail address

Ken

Back